1991 quarter p or d mint? Is there value to this?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Lyrics, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Lyrics

Lyrics Giving this one more chance with lots of hope

Hello again team.. edit: please see second set of images. Thanks.

Still slowly going thru all of these coins.

Found this one with a small envelope and exclamation point on it.

Share your thoughts. 20170203_180407.jpg 20170203_180427.jpg 20170203_180407.jpg 20170203_180427.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

You will find, as you go along, and get used to what should or should not be in coins, that some people have saved and collected many strange items. I was once guilty of mis-naming things I thought were errors and wasted a lot of time and 2X2's, only having to tear them down when I gained the knowledge I need. This just looks like the mint mark took a hit in it's every day use. But if you look at these things too long they tend to appear as something they are not.

Lyrics and eddiespin like this.
  4. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I certainly see what you're looking at. If that's just a P or a D, of course it's a normal 25C. This might have been saved because it was speculated to be a P on top of a D, or the other way around. I never heard of such a thing on these.

Lyrics and tommyc03 like this.
  5. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

We're just trying to teach you, @Lyrics. You win some, you don't win some.

6. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

BTW, check the reverse on this coin also. These were known to have die cracks at the left wing edge. If so, that would make it a saver at least.

Lyrics likes this.
  7. Lyrics

Ty much it looks in person, anyway as a double print lemme see if i can get a better image. 20170203_183406.jpg 20170203_183406.jpg 20170203_183238.jpg 20170203_183232.jpg

8. Lyrics

Think its just after market damage?
    Any ideas why exclaimation point would be on envelope?

9. Lyrics

Just fyi my grandfather was a well versed nuismatic, belonging to nuismatic coin clubs from about 1960 or before then. I still have some of his club cards that were hand written. Wish i had hung around a lot more and learned more. Its the first one with an exclamation point.

10. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Honestly, it looks like the P. It got hit by something along that left side, smashing that side down a little. I'd keep it if he kept it. I'm just looking at your pictures. Not that they're sub-par or anything, but pictures are one thing, seeing the coin is another thing. He evidently saw something there but couldn't quite put his finger on it. That's why he saved it without identifying it.

11. Lyrics

Thanks. I dont mind not knowing and i agree. What i am seeing in real life eyeballing looks like there is a bottom d with a p on top and there is a definite 2 layer look. Maybe if i took it outside in the sun and clean my lens it will come thru for others.

12. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Your photo is fine. It is a P mint mark that took a direct hit which moved the metal to one side. Honestly, it really is not an error. I love errors and would never lead you in the wrong direction.

Lyrics likes this.
  13. Lyrics

Ok try this set of images in which you can see the definite D print and the p outline.

I could be wrong but this is hard to show with a non pro camera. I hope this helps you see what im trying to describe.

AND THANK YOU FOR THE EXTRA TIME LOOKING AND COMMENTS.

20170204_140858.jpg 20170204_140816.jpg 20170204_140855.jpg 20170204_140858.jpg 20170204_140858.jpg 20170204_140855.jpg 20170204_140816.jpg

14. Lyrics

You think p that took a hit?

I had thought more likely a d that took a hit that dragged it down because there is a fully formed smaller D visible. 2 d stinks sometimes lol.

Again thanks guys for looking.

15. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

If I may..... (From earlier in this very thread):

16. Lyrics

As comparison here are p and d mint marks for 1991 quarters.

I pulled these to compare which is why i thought it was a d

1991_D_e83f0908-28cc-4be6-a8a5-e0298e374443_large.jpg United-States-1991-D-Quarter-Dollar-Washington-Uncirculated-_1.jpg usa-25-cents-1991.jpg

17. Lyrics

If you note the d extends to the left in a regular mint marked coin and the p is flat.

As i am not so eloquently explaining, lol, it really looks like the d with a p blobbed on top of it to the eyeball and the rise is really hard to show and looks like it is pressed down into the d.

18. Lyrics

Also the p imprint has serif ends. This doesnt appear to have serif ends.

_|_ tails on both sides of the bottom like the Roman iii when capitalized has at top and bottom.

19. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Sorry, but as been said earlier, it's a P mm that took a hit. Notice all of the nicks on the rest of the coin. He may have thought he had something, but it's not.

20. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Just think this way. We can't tilt these pictures and look at them from several different angles. We can't look at them under different light-settings and magnifications. Or, we can, but lots of good that does. That's what we're up against.

He kept it for a reason. To be sure why, show it to people. Coin dealers. The graders at ANACS. Just ask what they think is going on.

Having said that, even if we're right, it's just a damaged P, I'd still keep it because it's my grandfather's and he thought it was something special...but, that's just me.

Lyrics likes this.
  21. Lyrics

Rock on. Thanks you guys.

I have a mvb coin im posting in just a minute i think is doubled edge printing.

Draft saved Draft deleted