1991 Lincoln Penny w/extensive Doubling?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Secora, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Secora

Secora New Member

Hello everyone,
    Please help me out with this one. The penny appears to have doubling in many areas but, seems to disappear at different angles.
    Does this coin actually have doubling?

Thank you in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

This appears to be machine doubling, not the more valuable hub doubling. This is the effects of a worn die and can be evidenced by the ridge ring forming above the lettering all around the circumference.

paddyman98 likes this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Correct.. Worn Die Strike.
    Not a Doubled Die issue.

Secora likes this.
  5. Secora

Secora New Member

Thank you so very much.

tommyc03 likes this.
  6. MatrixMP-9

MatrixMP-9 Well-Known Member

Hey Secora...my compliments on taking the time to provide good pictures. Looks like you tried and took some time to show what you were wondering. Keep it up and enjoy the hunt! What you are probably "seeing" since it looks like its there on certain angles as you said is a bit of a digital camera effect. I have no idea what causes it but on shiny pennies I look at sometimes it looks crazy doubled! One thing you can do thats alot of fun at the beginning (I apologize if you already know this) is go to varietyvista.com and look up your specific coin in question and see if there is a listed doubled die. The sites kind of confusing at first but just nose around. Check out the different types of lincoln cents. It will give you a good idea of what to look out for. You'll start to remember to look around the ear lobe on certain years or maybe in the bays for certain years on the reverse. Anyway, makes it kind of fun to learn and research. These guys here are awesome and have a passion to help people who do a little research on their own before posting.

Good luck! I hope you post a good one soon brother!

Draft saved Draft deleted