1990d and 1985d result after cleaning with white vinegar and salt.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Italy8686, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Italy8686

Italy8686 Italy8686

You see scratches okay I do to but still but doesn't explain the strong lettering on the penny especially the rim starting at vdb and ending by IN. Can we agree on that

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

I've followed your thread the whole way through and see no evidence of nothing . Yell and be mad all you want !!
    Do yourself a favor, sit right back and we'll tell you a tale ,a tale of a faithful Ship ........
    Don't worry and get worked up over a worthless coin that's damaged to begin with . You now what I worry about every week but somehow know I'll survive ? ....
    qmzb7s4rnyzo.png

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  4. Italy8686

Italy8686 Italy8686

edited but you made my day

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2021
  5. Italy8686

Italy8686 Italy8686

6. Italy8686

Italy8686 Italy8686

I know its worthless I'm just saying Whats on the penny y'all can see

7. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

I've been looking at this for some time, and I just can't see anything.

8. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

I’m only seeing a pair of cleaned coins with die deterioration and blisters/split plating. The 85 D is a bit of a MAD cent.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  9. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  10. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

I'm not seeing anything really special here just normal pennies.

11. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

@Italy8686
    You can’t compare acetone to a salt/vinegar solution. Acetone is a solvent that will remove organic contaminants. It doesn’t react with the surfaces of metals. Vinegar is an acid that will attack the metal and salt is abrasive. Both of these can leave visible, permanent damage on a coin.

Also, nail polish remover IS NOT the same as acetone. Nail polish remover does contain acetone, but it also contains a variety of other chemicals/perfumes/skin conditioners, and these extra ingredients can vary from brand to brand. While the acetone is OK for removing organic residue, some/most/all of the extra ingredients may damage, discolor or leave a harmful residue on your coin. That’s why you should never use nail polish remover on a coin.

BTW: I see nothing on your 85D dent that would indicate a clashed die. You would not see clash marks on a recessed area of the die (Lincoln's jacket, without any marks on the high points (fields).

Go to www.maddieclashes.com and look at their overlays. That will give you a good background on where on a coin to look for evidence of clashing

JPD3 and Kevin Mader like this.
  12. Italy8686

Italy8686 Italy8686

Finally I get to great members to answer something. I didn't know. Thank you really. But before I did clean them the strike on rim of the 85d and 90d was already there. Now I'm still researching the 85 pics on rim errors.

13. Italy8686

Italy8686 Italy8686

14. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Good Luck , let us know your results . ;)

15. Italy8686

Italy8686 Italy8686

Will do. While your here. Why the 1946 s/d worthless

16. Italy8686

Italy8686 Italy8686

17. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

There’s damage between 9 and 10 on the 85D related to split plating and the effects of hydrozyncite. Dipping in acid will remove the hydrozyncite and leave voids in areas were the substrate zinc is missing. This is related to sharp edges and thin plating stretching even thinner. It doesn’t take much to compromise a thin barrier like copper while in your pocket or circulation.

Draft saved Draft deleted