1990 no S proof penny need help

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Jeremy S Hughes, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Jeremy S Hughes

Jeremy S Hughes New Member

I have several proof pennys every year from 1970 to 2017 very nice penny set of proof struck pennys 1519403408908-492061007.jpg 1519403466461-1830242188.jpg 1519403408908-492061007.jpg 1519403466461-1830242188.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Lousy pics, but I can still tell that it's not a 'no S' proof, but is actually a Philadelphia business strike.

JCro57 and paddyman98 like this.
  4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

hold coins by the edge of the coin. your finger prints are now on the coin.

5. rickmp

It would help your photos greatly if you would put them on a hard surface instead of in your hand. It will make them much easier to focus. You should also crop out as much as possible of anything that's not the coin.

6. Jeremy S Hughes

Are you sure it's got the wide AM and is super shiney

7. rickmp

paddyman98 likes this.
  8. Jeremy S Hughes

Yes and i have 1970-2000 that is super extra shiney like 1970 penny is perfect and mirror looking

9. rickmp

Shiny does not automatically equal proof.
    Take some time to learn how coins are struck, and the differences between proof strikes and business strikes.
    Google is your friend.

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Oh no! Here we go again!

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

11. Jeremy S Hughes

I'm serious and I'm on my way home to get my camera so i can give u better pics. I really appreciate the help and better pics i must present to you all so you can help me better..I'll be back with pics in a hour or less

12. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

I think a better place to start would be for you to describe why you believe the cents are proof. It's likely that you don't know how to differentiate correctly between the two, but we can help with that. Once you understand how to tell the difference it becomes obvious which are proof and which are not.

spirityoda likes this.
  13. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

I thought these type of collectors preferred the "shinny" spelling.

V. Kurt Bellman likes this.
  14. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Better pictures aren't needed. A basic understanding of the proof vs business strike minting process is.

15. rickmp

Jeremy, your cent shows luster in the obverse field. If it were a proof, it wouldn't show luster, but it would show a mirror like finish.

16. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Wow Jeremy, you need to "Go Back Three Spaces" and learn some core basics, my friend. You are NOT showing us a proof, and I can say that despite the blurry images.

[If this thread isn't enough evidence that learning about coins on the 'net is fraught with issues, I can't help you.]

17. V. Kurt Bellman

How many of his alleged "proofs" from 1970 to 2017 actually are proofs, ya figger? I'm setting the over/under line REAL low, if he even entertains the idea that his pictured coin is a proof.

18. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Proof coins are only issued in sets from the mint. It's generally rare to find any proof coin in circulation. Someone would have to go through the effort of breaking open the plastic holder and then spend the coins at face value. What are the odds that someone was lucky enough to get one of the very few No S cent sets and just decided that they would break open the set and spend the coins. The probability would be very, very, very small.

In addition, modern proof coins have a distinctive appearance. If you get any proof cents in change, you'll know it. In 48 years of collecting I've looked at nearly every coin that passed through my hands, I and have probably only received 3 or 4 proof coins total.

The Philadelphia Mint made 6.8 BILLION business strike cents for circulation without the a mintmark. The estimated mintage of 1990 No S Proof cents is less than 200. So, based on the difficulty of Proof coins finding their way into circulation and the number of each minted, which do you think you have?

19. rickmp

But he saw it on Youtube.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  20. V. Kurt Bellman

See? Now how come you can say that, but if I say it, the mods ride my back?

21. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

You catch slack over YouTube?

Draft saved Draft deleted