1990 No S Proof in Circulation

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by TazMage, Apr 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TazMage

TazMage Member

Thanks lucy.

I was looking at the lincoln penny section of the 2011 edition of the Red Book. I noticed on some of the years, 1992 and 1996 for example, there are references to a "Close AM" and a "Wide AM" as in AMERICA, I presume. Perhaps this is an indicator of a proof die being used on circulation coins or vise-versa. I was merely wondering if such "markers" distinguished the proofs of earlier years from their circulation counterparts.

I guess now another question is this...will circulation struck coins retain a fingerprint that you can not remove, or is it only with proofs that this happens to?

rlm, as much as I do appreciate your pictures, the proof you show is encapsulated. The question is about proofs in "the wild" so to speak. But thanks, and yes, I do know what a proof coin looks like encapsulated and protected.....see?

1989 s eagle fronty.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lucyray

lucyray Ariel -n- Tango

Thank you Rim! Now I know the difference! Without having something in hand or someone to 'say so'; without a real confirmation, I wasn't sure. Distinctly, now, I see the difference. Good idea to post the photos!
    Lucy

4. TazMage

TazMage Member

ok, this is the last picture I'm putting up of this coin, this really hasn't been productive so far, but maybe after a few more people look at it, they can add some insight as to what, IF ANYTHING separates the 2 types of coin strikes, thank you.

1990 pennye.jpg 1990 pennyr.jpg

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

"Mirrored fields and frosty devices".....sometimes hard to detect on an circulated proof.

6. green18

Circulation strike dear fellow.....

7. TazMage

TazMage Member

Yeah, I think that's the general consensus. But are there other markers, such as the Close AM and Wide AM that are referenced in the Red Book for some of the other years when those dies were used for the opposite strikes?

8. kitchmed

kitchmed Likes shiny things

I see people mention on here all the time that looking at the rim of the coin helps identify a proof - when there's a 90 degree angle where the rim meets the fields, it's a proof, but more rounded tend to be circulation coins.

I'm hoping I learned that correctly, if not, blame it on driving the jersey turnpike all afternoon.

9. green18

Believe me Taz, when you handle/see enough of these proofs/circulateds you will see a difference. Regardless of said markers.

10. raider34

raider34 Active Member

Both Proof coins and Business strike coins can have visible fingerprints.
    Take a look at the Kennedy at the top of this page, and the Washington $1 towards the end: Proof Coins in Circulation While they aren't Lincolns, it shows how a modern proof coin holds up once it's circulated.

That coin is a definitely business strike Lincoln, with a finger print on it. A modern proof coin that had lightly circulated would still be clearly recognizable as a proof coin. (As show from the thread above), the mirrored fields and cameo contrast will remain, though they will become impaired. You can read more here about proofs: Grading Coins

11. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Unless things have changed, proof coins and circulation coins are not process the same. Proof coins use individually placed blanks into the striking area and then are individually removed. Because they are handled one at a time and not by feeder mechanism and feeder finger, the blanks for proof coins do not have to be chamfered for high speed production as do circulation coins, so the edges will be very perpendicular. This is especially true for cents, and I suspect for dimes also.IMO.

Jim

12. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I'm going to try and explain this as clear as I can. First, there is no Close or Wide AM varieties for 1990. When you compare the reverse of a proof and a business strike from 1990...the AM is the same. I have posted a picture below to illustrate that (the proof pictured is actually a No S proof photo from HA). The first coin pictured is the business strike.

Now, if you look at the 2 photos...you can see that the details in the devices of the proof are much more strongly struck. Even if you ignore the frosty devices and the mirror fields, this is still true. Now, the key giveaway between a business strike and a proof Lincoln...of any year is the rim of the coin. Notice how the rim of the business strike flows into the field. This is not the case. With the proof, there is a very defined 90 degree angle between the field and the rim. I hope that answers your question. To be perfectly honest, I am having a hard time understanding exactly what information you are looking for.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. desertgem

Here is the difference between a chamfered circulation cent and a proof cent edge (top)

[​IMG]

Jim

14. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

I bought a proof clad 1999S Georgia quarter off a gas station clerk a couple of months ago. She had pulled it out of the cash drawer because it was "shiny like a mirror with ice". She was more than happy for $5 for it. My point is, proofs, even in circulation are clearly distinguishable from normal coins by a non-numismatist, and seeing more of them will help you to identify them, on sight, in the future.

15. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Hi, TazMage. You might want to get in touch with Rascal. The two of you seem to have a lot in common.

16. desertgem

Enough! People, you can do much better at communicating without insulting others and putting words into someone's quote without their permission. I guess you wouldn't care if someone did that to you, but the forum does. This thread is closed, warnings have been given, but changes have to come about, as that is the last of warnings to some.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.