1990 Double Die Penny ? Need some help.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by goldbully, Sep 5, 2010.

1. goldbully

goldbully New Member

Hey guys,

I ran across this 1990 penny and was wondering if it was a double die or just maybe machine doubling? I still can't figure out a difference on how you can tell if is one or the other. You guys have any tips to distinguish them? Hope everyone is having a nice labor day weekend!!

I'm sorry about the picture size, I still do not know how to resize them. Is there a special program for that? The microscope camera only has a "resolution" option and none for resizing. Thanks again.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

4. Captainkirk

Captainkirk 73 Buick Riviera owner

My, that does look rounded, I don't know if this has been documented.
    Great pics, but I really can't make out the details, maybe a little less side lighting would help.

5. goldbully

goldbully New Member

Hey, that is awesome! Exactly what I was looking for to learn! Thank you so much.

6. goldbully

goldbully New Member

I zoomed in some to see if it would help you guys see better. I don't know how to cut the light lower. Its a cheap little mico cam so it doesn't have so many features. Sorry again for the big pics.

Attached Files:

7. jallengomez

I'd say you found the real deal. Nice find! Nice photo too.

8. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

looks good! Notching and everything!

9. goldbully

goldbully New Member

I hope it is, my first find! I was kinda scared to post it up because I am such a newb I didn't want people to get mad. Thanks again, I don't know if I should send it to be graded. Would they even label it if as a dd? (pcgs or ngc)

10. jallengomez

Post all you got! No one is going to get mad. We love helping out. You could probably send it to Wexler and if it's a first I think going that route he can get it slabbed by ANACS as a "discovery" piece.

www.doubleddie.com

11. ikandiggit

Wishing you good luck! Wait to get a few more opinions. The comments are based on the photos and there might be other details that may not be evident. Sure would be nice to see another discovery made by a Coin Talk member!

12. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Good luck!
    but it looks like it been dipped/clean & that cut the Value if it is a new D/Die by 85-90%

13. goldbully

goldbully New Member

Hey, I don't if it has been cleaned or not. Is there a book or site that helps with that too? I'm clueless in that department. It does have what seems to be "mirror" fields? I doesn't have any frost so I don't think it can be a proof. Just weird!

14. ikandiggit

Can you show a pic taken with a camera or scanner just so we can see it without the magnification and artificial color from the scope?

15. goldbully

goldbully New Member

Hey, this is the best I could do on a scanner and I took it out of the plastic

Attached Files:

• 1990.jpg
      1990.jpg
      File size:
      242.3 KB
      Views:
  16. goldbully

goldbully New Member

In person it looks like orange red colored.

17. gipnfdl

gipnfdl New Member

Sometimes it can appear to have doubling, be it a true double(d) die* or machine doubling when looking through plastic holders. Have you looked at it out of the plastic? Its hard to tell.

*Note: I have been "told" by certain members that it is incorrect to use the wording "double" die without a "d" on the end, and that they are two separate things. Well, after some research on PCGS.com, I have discovered that in their own glossary, they infact use both terms interchangably and there is no separte creature as a "double" die vs. a doubleD die. Just wanted to point that out. http://www.pcgs.com/lingo.chtml?Letter=D#lingo1291 I have presented it the way the term appears on PCGS's website.

18. jallengomez

While it's true that viewing a coin through plastic, let alone viewing photos of a coin through plastic can give the appearance of doubling, I've never seen a holder that gave the illusion of such strong notching. It's not hard to tell at all; there is no doubt about this one.

19. gipnfdl

gipnfdl New Member

I completely agree. You are 100% correct.

Draft saved Draft deleted