1990 DDO quarter

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Scubalou, May 27, 2022.

1. Scubalou

Scubalou Well-Known Member

O.K., going through some quarters and came across this. Didn't see anything in VV or Wexler. Obviously I could be wrong, it's happened before. However the back of Washington's head appears doubled to me. Perhaps even the last t in trust and the e in we. Thanks for looking: Lou Obverse.jpg Reverse.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Mechanical doubling.

Spark1951 likes this.
  4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

5. Scubalou

Figures

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Definitely MD

Scubalou likes this.
  7. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

How about Machine or Strike doubling. :p

8. Scubalou

Yeah, I figured, but I thought it was pretty strong behind the head. Thanks: Lou

9. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Why don't you do yourself a favor and study up on the minting process? That's just a suggestion to save a little time. This is kindergarten stuff. A 13-year-old can tell this is strike doubling. Go to YouTube and see how these are minted. They're not minted with cookie-cutter precision and care. They're rather banged out like AK-47 fire. It's a sure miracle when they don't all have strike doubling, under very close examination. See it for yourself. Take the time and learn, so you won't be fooled again. Don't that make no sense? You can do it, we got faith in you. Don't let us down. :)

SensibleSal66 and Scubalou like this.
  10. Scubalou

Just thought the doubling on the back of the head appeared to increase the hair, did not look shelf like to me. That's all. Thanks: Lou

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  11. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Since the die will be used to hammer out each coin and the mint will run it until it is visibly damaged ( well unless it is a " special coin sold above normal value") , there will various amounts of spreading of the die from the compressions , wear on the mechanisms of the machinery , etc. and as the metal spreads, part of the image do also producing a fainter image, and they will tend to become flatter ( thinner) than the original major image.
    In a traditional double squeeze die unit, both images will be approx. the same height and may merge. Single squeeze , I ignore as vibrations or whatever their experts claim. IMO, Jim

Raizac likes this.
  12. Scubalou

Thank you Jim. I understand the mechanism, it's just to my eye the doubling seemed more pronounced that md. I understand the minting process fairly well, It's just my sense of the strength of the doubling. Thanks: Lou

13. Scubalou

14. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

It is difficult to tell sometimes because their is no exact specific height of secondary doubling, it mainly depends on the factors of mint machinery adjustments.IMO Jim

15. Scubalou

Thank You

Draft saved Draft deleted