1990-d (steel penny?)

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by yorkiedad5, Jul 17, 2009.

1. yorkiedad5

yorkiedad5 Senior Member

might be stupid but this 1990-d looks exacty like a 1943 steel penny!!! hope the pic comes up

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. yorkiedad5

yorkiedad5 Senior Member

cant tell the color by the pic but it sure looks steel in front of my eyes! ever heard of such a thing???

4. ryanbrooks

ryanbrooks Active Member

I don't think it is, but if anything it would not have the copper plating. ;) From the picture, it looks as if the coin is badly corroded.

5. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Is it magnetic?

6. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

Best way to tell.

7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Looks corroded with wear on the high points allowing the zinc core to show through.

8. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

9. Alex491

Alex491 Boy Scout

If it's magnetic, you might get about $100,000 depending on conditon. The date looks pretty real. Congrats!
    Good find!

Applgtss likes this.
  10. Um, it would be impossible for it to be a steel penny, seeing as that the last legitimate penny made with steel was in 1944 (a few were minted with steel by mistake). Sorry, it's simply a zinc core penny that had the copper removed or worn off.

Evan Saltis likes this.
  11. Alex491

Alex491 Boy Scout

I meant if it's not magnetic

12. robec

robec Junior Member

If this is an authentic unplated zinc Lincoln cent, it would command some premium, but not quite $100k. Depending on condition they can be worth $25 to a few hundred dollars.[​IMG][​IMG]

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  13. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

A genuine, copper-plated zinc cent will not be magnetic so if it is not magnetic that does not prove anything (except that it is not steel).

14. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

It is more common to find a zinc plated copper-zinc cent than one that has no copper cladding. The are several science experiments on the internet used in middle and high school beginning chemistry classes to zinc plate a copper ( or copper clad) cent. These are made in the thousands every year and cast into circulation when the kids lose interest.

I should mention that the OP photo shows some altered surfaces similar to those found on replated cents.

15. Alex491

Alex491 Boy Scout

Ignore this! I was mistaken. I thought you all were talking about the 1943 being a possible copper cent. Stupid me!

16. 5dollarEdunote

5dollarEdunote Coin Connoisseur

Where do you get that value?

17. Alex491

Alex491 Boy Scout

Yep

18. Tjcobra

Tjcobra New Member

I have the exact same penny - 1990 D. This can't be a coincidence. Mine looks like a steel penny but it's not magnetic. I found it several years ago and just put it in a drawer. I forgot about it until today when I was looking at the coins I've collected. Any thoughts?

19. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Yup, same as the rest of the thread - plated outside of the mint. PSD.

20. Pernell

Pernell New Member

I have one . what is it's value?

21. bryantallard

bryantallard show me the money....so i can look through it

if it could be close to a $100 or more...your best bet is to send it to Wexler. for $4 it's worth it.

Draft saved Draft deleted