1990 D Double die Question

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Chopperhead, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Chopperhead

Chopperhead Member

Hi all, please take a look at my coin, zoom in on Date/Mint. I am hoping I discovered a new error. I am praying this is a double die, but starting to worry its not. Thanks for all feedback, I am new to this!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Chopperhead

Chopperhead Member

20190904_205243.jpg Hi all, please take a look at my coin, zoom in on Date/Mint. I am hoping I discovered a new error. I am praying this is a double die, but starting to worry its not. Thanks for all feedback, I am new to this!

4. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

5. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

What Clawcoins said is exactly what it is. Aka as NAV or no added value doubling.
    Welcome to CT.

7. Collecting Nut

Yes, duplicate thread.

8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Doubled Die is a Variety not an error.
    You have Die Deterioration Doubling known as worthless doubling.
    Not a new discovery. Don't worry.

9. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

10. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

First, welcome to CT! You've come to the right place if you want to learn about coin collecting & the wide choice of collecting areas, both modern & ancient.

You've already received accurate responses to your "doubled die" question, so I won't address that. However, I do want to address your this comment about hoping to discover a new error (I assume you mean variety) on a coin which was minted 20 years ago...that is virtually impossible. Virtually all discoveries on a coin this old have been made by now.

If you are serious about "I am new to this!", and want to pursue this great hobby, it would behoove you to get a copy of the Red Book (U.S. Coin Digest). This is the top reference book & will provide you a wealth of information, including varieties & errors! (Do not pay attention to the price guides in this book - they are already obsolete.) It's about $20 new, but you can get it used (2-3 yrs old is OK) for less than half of that.

Good luck & keep up the hunt. (It's much more enjoyable if you gain some basic knowledge & don't go chasing the impossible. Also, stay off youtube!)

Collecting Nut likes this.
  11. Collecting Nut

Good advice!

PlanoSteve likes this.
  12. Chopperhead

Chopperhead Member

Thank everyone....foe yoor help, I am trying to study this, but sometimes I am just not sure. I have another, I am posting, just to get an opinion. IS THIS THE SAME THING, DOGGONIT? I have the redbook, but is that set in stone, that there CANT be a new one found? I am not trying to waste anyones time, I really love being a part of this and getting your feedback, its helping me learn more.

Attached Files:

13. Chopperhead

Chopperhead Member

Check out the mint mark, the top of his head, lettering...is this ALL machine doubling?

14. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

More die deterioration doubling

15. Chopperhead

Chopperhead Member

Draft saved Draft deleted