1990 $100 Bill

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by scotts1, Apr 9, 2017.

1. scotts1

scotts1 Well-Known Member

Last night at work, someone handed me this 1990 $100 bill in CU condition - perfectly flat with no folds, creases, etc. Unfortunately I didn't have enough money on me at the time to buy it out of the register. Today I went back and bought it, but the damage was already done. It had been put into a stack of other bills held together with rubber bands. It no longer lays flat and there are several dents along the edge from the rubber bands. Lesson learned: keep more cash on hand. Have any other collectors had a similar experience? Any thoughts on whether or not I should keep it?

img20170409_11260544.jpg

img20170409_11280621.jpg

DSCF9126.JPG

DSCF9128.JPG

DSCF9130.JPG

Legomaster1 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Small portrait $100 and first year of the polymer strip.
    I personally do not collect $100's that are not star notes or serial #12.

Printed in October 1991....hard to tell if it will ever have a meaningful premium over face value. If you like it, and can afford to keep it, then slip it in a Mylar currency sleeve.

4. scotts1

I've already put it in a holder and will probably hold onto it for now. Thanks!

kiddchamp7 likes this.
  5. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

The reverse vignette of Independence Hall is awesome!!

6. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I prefer the small head notes, but to me it's $100.
    It's not worth keeping for 20 years to eventually get $110 for it.

7. ashyblue

ashyblue Member

Put it under a heavy book and it will be flat in a few days , nice note , but it wont have much premium if any over face value as it has no special serial or error and is not that old yet. But it's a keeper

8. scotts1

Well, no matter what I can't lose since I got it for face value. I think I'll hold on to it for now.

9. Timewarp

Timewarp Intrepid Traveler

At 48,000,000 it's the lowest printing of the 12 Districts for that series. I would have kept it too.

10. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

Some to look for, are any 1993 series of $50.00 or $100.00 with the back plate number 1.

11. Kaching100

Kaching100 New Member

How much is the serial #12 worth?

NOS likes this.
  12. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

The non-star was $300 and the star note was double of that.

3832CDD3-E901-4E34-8572-AF82882C2010.jpeg 11B580A1-D87D-47D6-A420-475964E723E7.jpeg

NOS and potty dollar 1878 like this.
  13. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

We'll never know for sure but don't feel too bad about the dents, bends, and creases. It is very common for a note found in circulation to look better than it actually is when it is first found. I see it all the time when I find high-grade notes from circulation. Notes will often look nice, flat, and crisp with no or few apparent flaws.

I'll set the note(s) aside by itself for a day and I'll start seeing the note exhibit bends and creases I didn't know it had. What happens is straps and wallets help to mask these flaws but once a crisp note becomes "free" its true imperfections from circulation will start to show.

Draft saved Draft deleted