199? Penny. Strike through?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Beardigger, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

I’m not seeing anything by the date that would indicate a strike through grease. The date area seems normal. But it has to be something like that doesn’t it? Your thoughts please. The back appears to have a large die crack who’s is raised white metal
    image.jpg image.jpg 0E73A63B-2E49-476E-BDA6-7C1C82C49D57.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Beardigger

4. Beardigger

5. MixtureNo79

MixtureNo79 Active Member

It's simple. It was made by the Romans in the year 199 to honor the future coming of Abraham Lincoln.

Mike185 likes this.
  6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

7. Beardigger

8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Yes. It is struck through grease.
    Please show better pictures of the Reverse.

9. Beardigger

10. Beardigger

11. Beardigger

12. Beardigger

13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

What do you mean by "usual surface"?

Technically speaking, it is more accurate to say that the coin was produced by a grease-filled die. As grease and particles of dust or debris build up in the recess of the die, in this case it is the digit "9", continued striking of new planchets causes the "concoction" to become compacted until it completely fills the void. At this point, the recess in the die disappears, and since the space formerly occupied by this digit is relatively small, you can hardly tell that it was even there unless you can examine the area on the coin with a very high-powered microscope.

Chris

14. Beardigger

I have no doubt that it is a grease strike, there is nothing else it could be. What was throwing me was it didn't have the "orange peel" like surface I usually see with a grease strike, or the surrounding details effected. Great explanation Chris. Thank you. Now what is going on with the reverse of this coin?

15. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

We can assume that this is a Crappy Zincoln based on the grayish color of the anomaly. It looks to me like this is a plating blister that has "meandered" into a couple of small die cracks, and has most of the copper plating worn off.

I may be wrong, but that is my impression.

Chris

16. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

I have read articles written by Mike Diamond and whenever he uses the term "orange peel effect" it's usually associated with severe die deterioration. (Could be used for other things though).

Draft saved Draft deleted