199 ? Lincoln Cent missing last number in date. What's it worth.

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by 9 Second 93 LX, Dec 18, 2011.

1. 9 Second 93 LX

9 Second 93 LX New Member

I found a 199 something Lincoln cent in my search for copper cents. Any idea what it may be worth? I guess it's a filled die error, but there is no hint of number shown. Possibly never date stamped???

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
    Tommy coins 001.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Looks like a grease filled die.

No premium, worth exactly $.01.

4. 9 Second 93 LX

9 Second 93 LX New Member

Oh well thanks anyway.

5. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Coins are not "date stamped". The date is part of the die that strikes the coin. As BU pointed out, your coin appears to have been struck with a die with grease filling the last numeral of the date. These are not uncommon and, although they are a curiosity, they do not command a premium.

6. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

weigh it. If it's 2.5 grams (or close) it's zinc. 3.1 grams makes it copper. Copper Cents are worth about 2c each.

7. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

A Lincoln Cent from the 1990s should be a zinc cent, right? 1982 was the last year for bronze cents made for circulation.

8. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

According to Red Book, that's correct.

9. dfraser

dfraser Junior Member

if you have a copper cent from 199? it is a unique find!

10. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

And any dealer will pay 50% of the price so they make profit, so it's still worth a penny. Better to either just hold onto it because it's unique or spend it as a penny. :)

Or the OP can list it as an eBay auction starting at .01 and perhaps some suckers will drive the price up. ;)

11. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

It appears that some of the effect may come from a coin counter scraping across that area of the coin.

Welcome to the forum!

Jim

12. Kid_Collector

Kid_Collector Member

or sell it on ebay as a rare coin for $10 :p

13. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Do you have a picture of the reverse? It actually looks to be off-center. If it's not, it's an extreme MAD. As for the 9, that's a grease filled die and not the result of damage IMO. The last digit of the date is a common area to find missing on a greaser.

I disagree with the others, greasers will command a slight premium and a MAD that far off (or off-center) will add to the premium.

Dynoking likes this.
  14. pumpkinpie

pumpkinpie what is this I don*t even

I think i can see the shadow of a 4 in that empty space.

15. Cher

Cher New Member

What about one from 1980s era? Got one in my chg yesterday. The top of the last number is there and it looks to may have wanted to be a 2? It weighs 2.5gr

16. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

What about it? Can't tell without photos, but probably grease filled die. It's also better to start a new topic post instead of bumping a 5 year dead posting.

17. Jdiablo30

Jdiablo30 Well-Known Member

Nice miss aligned die and struck through grease. My first opinion that came to mind when I saw the coin.

18. Robertyoung

Robertyoung New Member

I came across a 1990 lincolncent the last 2numbers r partially missing I can make out the numbers its a 90 can anyone help me information.

19. Galina

Galina New Member

I find the same peny 199, plus with steps

20. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

Pictures help a lot. It's also better to start a new post if you want answers.Galina, what do you mean by "with steps"?

21. Jerry Cloutier

Jerry Cloutier New Member

I found a Lincoln penny with only a 9 in the date. I will take a picture later tonight.

Draft saved Draft deleted