1989 lincoln cent crustacean and metallic dirt

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Avery G., Feb 25, 2020.

1. Avery G.

Avery G. Active Member

The coin has several affected areas on obverse and 1 area on reverse. Last pic is for comparison from ngccoin.com. all opinions welcome.

20200225_093219.jpg 20200224_143823.jpg 0224-8.jpg 0224-23.jpg 0224-5.jpg 0224-16.jpg 0225-10.jpg 0224-33.jpg 0503_Droppedphoto1_lg.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Spend it before it rots away.

4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Wow, this is like trying to compare road kill to a side of beef.
    Not even worth the effort.

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

@cpm9ball says.. Crappy Zincoln

Here are it's relatives with Environmental Damage I found metal detecting..
    20190707_162330(1).jpg
    20190707_162338.jpg

Yours is also environmental damage.. Not a Mint Error of any kind :yack:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  6. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Do you believe that this might be a mint made error?

The NGC picture shows some grease/metal filings “schmutz” that’s responsible for the majority of filled die errors. Grease from the equipment mixes with small metal particles from the equipment and planchets to form this mixture that can occasionally land on a planchet or die. Minor filled dies are common. While it’s unusual to still have of the material still adhered to the coin, it really isn’t anything more than a curiosity, although it does provide a good picture for an educational opportunity.

I honestly don’t know how you can mistake the grease in the NGC pic for the heavy corrosion/environmental damage on your coin. You’ve been posting here for a while, and appear to have been looking at sites like error-ref. I really hate to say this, but if you can’t tell that your coin is damaged, maybe it’s time to consider another hobby. You’re just not getting it.

7. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Looks like a combination of hydrozincite and verdigris. If you are interested, you could mix a 50/50 mixture of white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide and place the coin into it for short bursts to remove the encrustations and reveal a coin with porosity. Essentially, every outcropping of hydrozincite dissolves away and reveals the breaks in the copper plating. Over time, the hydrozincite will reappear. As noted...spend it while it hasn't fully disintegrated.

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Mr. P., please don't put words in my mouth.

It's a Crappy Zincoln! ~ Chris:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

paddyman98 likes this.
  9. Avery G.

Avery G. Active Member

I know that your minds are set. The anomaly on the reverse shows through on the obverse as it does when something hard is struck through. Look at the right side bottom of memorial bldg; notice the anomaly is on top of it. Look now on the obverse above anomaly in front of face. Impression is very visible. You can make out the bottom right of bldg that the anomaly is on. Did corrosion cause this?

10. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Did Corrosion cause this??

ABSOLUTELY!!!!

I really can't understand why you've failed to pick up the basics. It's not rocket science. Look at the coin. There is no way on God's green earth it can be anything but corrosion.

[​IMG]

11. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I have found what you are looking for on several occasions and as compared to your NGC example, but all on B.U. coins which is what you really should be looking for to verify this. In fact I found nearly a dozen of them in just one roll. Trying to find one on a well circulated coin is nearly an impossible task. There are too many environmental factors to consider on circulated coins. All it takes is one pin hole or one crack along the periphery for the zinc to start bubbling out and spreading across the rest of the coin. Then there is 31 years of other accumulated debris on the coin obscuring anything original. The others have their minds made up because of their experience with these problem cents and you have your mind made up because of just your one NGC example and trying too hard to find a similar example. Try finding an example on a much nicer piece in AU-BU range that has no other problems.

12. Avery G.

Avery G. Active Member

Yes, so true.

13. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

I came here looking for some delicious steamed clams or mussels in garlic broth. I’ve been let down yet again.

14. paddyman98

:hilarious: Haha I just noticed!

@Avery G.
    These are crustaceans!
    Capture+_2020-02-25-13-39-18.png

frankjg likes this.
  15. paddyman98

Give it up. Nobody will ever agree that your cent is any kind of mint error :meh:

Evan Saltis likes this.
  16. Bluntflame

Bluntflame Well-Known Member

Is it time to share zincoln damage! Gonna have to get mine out, huh?

17. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

QUIT THIS HOBBY! TAKE UP A DIFFERENT ONE THAT DOESN'T REQUIRE YOU TO THINK!

Evan Saltis likes this.
  18. Avery G.

Avery G. Active Member

I will after you guys explain to me how corrosion caused this next pic. That is a dropped bowtie. 0225-6.jpg 0225-4.jpg

19. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

20. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Not dropped anything. Please explain.

Evan Saltis likes this.
  21. Avery G.

Avery G. Active Member

Can you explain that fred?

Draft saved Draft deleted