1989-D triple date

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Metalman, Nov 27, 2004.

1. Metalman

Metalman New Member

I dont know if my picture has captured this in enough detail, but this Lincoln Memorial 1989-D has tripling visable on the date most notably the 9 an 8 showing one image right and one image left of the center ,

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Metalman

Metalman New Member

I think I may have got a better image of this coin ?

I hope !!!

Attached Files:

4. National dealer

National dealer New Member

The second pic is a little better. I can see a little doubling in the date, but cannot tell if this is mechanic doubling or not with the pics.

5. Metalman

Metalman New Member

ND
    I dont know for sure either, but I have never seen a mechanical triple die like this, there are three distinct 9's and 8's in this date with images both right and left of the normal position,the last nine has distict doubling of the tail, with the third being a ghost within the tail below the loop,the one shows only minor doubling low and to the right,,

Thanks for the info, I could probly get a batter image by scan, but I have not figured that process out yet.

Rick

6. National dealer

How does the rest of the obverse look? Are there any other areas effected?

7. jody526

jody526 New Member

I can find 9 different RPM's for this date/MM, but no listings for DDO's, RPD's, or overdates.

8. Metalman

Metalman New Member

ND

The LIBE in Liberty also shows some doubling, with maybe a little at the base of the bust, the rest of the obverse appears normal for a bumpy, bubbly 80's planchet. a pretty nice AU example,,

The reverse shows some minor doubling in the ON of one, and to the left of the Memorial .

I will try one more pic, cropped a little more and sized up.

Attached Files:

9. National dealer

That particular pic is too blurry to tell. Take it by a local coin dealer to have an opinion with coin in hand.

10. Metalman

Metalman New Member

Sorry I could'nt get a good pic. I will try the local coin dealer, not something I look forward to,, He's a rude dude.with little interest in helping.

Thanks for your time !!

Rick

Draft saved Draft deleted