1989 D LMC WHAT HAPPENED TO ME?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Newbie69, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Newbie69

Newbie69 Doesn't make cents!

IMG_20180814_161624737_HDR.jpg IMG_20180814_163700611_HDR.jpg IMG_20180814_161543560_HDR.jpg IMG_20180814_161502966_HDR.jpg IMG_20180814_161438175_HDR.jpg IMG_20180814_161446549_HDR.jpg Don't think I really need to explain what we're looking at here! But what causes this? IMG_20180814_161502966_HDR.jpg IMG_20180814_161502966_HDR.jpg

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    paddyman98 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

Because it is an early zinc cent with a copper layer. When the coin was struck, it didn't move the zinc very much. Instead it moved the copper layer mostly. After that something ran it over and smashed it making the devices collapse. These late 80's zinc cents are notorious for plating bubbles and zinc rot when those bubbles pop.

Spend that coin.

4. Newbie69

. That doesn't add up for me! Because I'm sure the zinc and copper have been moved, only the centers of the devices are incused, doesn't appear to have been run over.

5. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

Good luck then.

I don't get why people even ask questions about coins that are clearly damaged. This phenomenon on this forum is baffling. Yet the poster has no reasonable explanation, of their own, to what happened to their coin. Then proceeds to dismiss any reasonable answer given to them. This continues to happen time and time again.

Go YouTube it. I'm sure they have the answer.

frankjg and beef1020 like this.
  6. Newbie69

Please don't take me wrong here. I fully respect and appreciate your response. I just can't picture this happening in my mind, although you may very well be spot on in your explanation. Thanks again and have a great evening.

7. Newbie69

WOW!

8. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

Just some PMD (post mint damage), zinc rot. Not a mint error.

9. Dave363

Dave363 Well-Known Member

I'm no expert in error coins your coin obviously has PMD but the incused IMO was when the coin was struck.

On obverse if the coin had been ran over the highest point of the coin would have been flated like Lincoln himself first.

Your coin show signs of MD on Lincoln's forehead nose mouth and Chin and the reverse shows sign of MD in the Memorial Building worn out Die.JMO
    Dave

10. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

Only possible with a defective planchet, the die could not be made with the interior of the devices incused and the outline of the exterior raised. If it came from the mint that way it's not because the die left that image.

To the OP, it's not a mint error. If you want to play 'what if' feel free, however you will find there is little patience on coin forums for it. There are millions of damaged coins, you could spend your life wondering about each and every one, and I personally see little value in it.

11. Newbie69

Thanks Beef. I don't worry about each and every damaged coin I come across. Nor do I question every JMO, IMO or answer that I get! So here's what bothers me is when someone flys off the handle when they do get a question to their opinion or it's not understood and no disrespect was intended. Now I know how it's easy to misinterpret messages informs. Having said that, when I offer a respectful question to an answer one would certainly expect the same in return! Most everyone has been very helpful and respectful on this site. With the exception of a couple people. Hey I'm just here to learn. I got a wife at home I can argue with!!!!! Have a wonderful day people!

Draft saved Draft deleted