1989 D Lincoln Penny

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Charlie Cliques, May 4, 2019.

1. Charlie Cliques

Charlie Cliques Active Member

Soo..I'm sure the answer to is this a doubled die coin is no, its only machine doubling... because I'm usually wrong when I think it's real doubling lol...but thought I'd try again and also use this post at at the very least as an opportunity to share this beautiful (in my opinion) toned penny I found

20190504_180521.jpg 20190504_181619.jpg 20190504_225059.jpg 20190504_224913.jpg 20190504_224719.jpg 20190504_225155.jpg 20190504_223720.jpg 20190504_223532.jpg 20190504_223936.jpg 20190504_180850.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Charlie Cliques

4. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

Looks like a plating issue? But I'm not an expert so wait for one to come along.

Also, about the toning. I am not sure. But there is some toning that suggests coins have been in contact with urine and other types of substances. Not sure about your coin. Again, the experts can look and almost know in an instant. I hope your coin has "good" toning and not the yucky icky kind.

R_rabbit likes this.
  5. R_rabbit

R_rabbit Well-Known Member

:)
    Hi Charlie,
    Imho,it looks like md with some die deterioration. Not sure on the platting issue but I like the Toning!

Charlie Cliques and LaCointessa like this.
  6. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I am not sure what caused the color, But deep purples and red brown is a natural color for aged copper. As for anything else you are seeing. It shows many different types of worthless doubling.
    Have you read through this site?
    http://doubleddie.com/144801.html
    Even if you have it is worth reading over and over until it gets instilled into your brain.
    DDO's and DDR's are valuable because they are rare, and you shouldn't expect to find one unless you know what you are looking at.
    Here are the different classes of Doubled Dies.
    http://doubleddie.com/58222.html

Cochisz and LaCointessa like this.
  7. Charlie Cliques

Thank you, I have but will read again... Just when I think i get it I don't lol....I did think most of the stuff on this penny was machine doubling, except the D mint mark & maybe his hair ...but then I doubt myself... & The D threw me off for sure

LaCointessa and R_rabbit like this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Worthless doubling. If you see the same type of doubling on the same denomination and different dates then it's worthless doubling. As for the toning it looks natural but it's also on a zlincoln.

LaCointessa likes this.
  9. Charlie Cliques

What's a zlincoln?

10. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

Mostly zinc. Starting in 1982

Charlie Cliques likes this.
  11. Charlie Cliques

thanks

12. Charlie Cliques

whats wrong w/ toning on a zlincoln?

13. Collecting Nut

A cent made of Zinc. In 1982 cents were made from copper then switched to zinc with a thin copper coating. It was a transitional year. All Cents since then a zinc. Zinc is a terrible metal to use as it causes numerous problems. We cdll them zlincolns.

Nyatii likes this.
  14. Collecting Nut

Nothing but you get some strainge results. They're newer coins so toning is not normal. They have an extremely thin copper coating and copper is highly reactive to the elements. The thin copper coating reacts faster than a solid copper coin but you get weird looking Cents.

15. Charlie Cliques

thank you for explaining :) ...i think this one toned nicely

16. Collecting Nut

Not bad but I'd put in an airtight to reduce future toning. An airtight would be better than a 2x2 flip.

17. Charlie Cliques

thanks for the tip! is this true for all toned coins? or just because of this ones composition?

18. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Toning is storage related. There are a lot of good threads on this topic here on CT. Proper storage conditions will reduce the amount of toning a coin gets but all coins will tone over time.
    You want a cool dry place with low humidity to start. Also air tites and intercept shield albums tend to be the best.

19. Collecting Nut

Well said, thank you.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  20. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Nice clear photos like yours are always appreciated, thanks.

21. Charlie Cliques

Thanks !

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted