1989-D Kennedy Half Dollar - missing star?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Graham S, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Graham S

Graham S Lt.Fluffy96

Hello everyone and thank you - in advance - for your time! So I'll hop right to it, i have this 1989 Kennedy Half Dollar that has a star missing from the reverse side of the coin, just beneath the eagles tail feathers. Theres no indication of significant wear and tear and/or no obvious marks/scrapes on the coin, it looks clean - just missing a star. Its interesting I've never seen this and can't find anything about it.. ideas?

Much appreciated!

20201012_235844.jpg 20201013_001755.jpg 20201013_001249.jpg 20201013_000005.jpg 20201013_001658.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

The usual cause for something like this is that the missing device was filled with some grease or other debris that kept it from showing on the coin. Interesting, but not really worth any premium. Welcome to CT

4. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

Looks like a minor filled die, as mentioned by Kentucky

Graham S and Kentucky like this.
  5. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Welcome to CT and keep that coin. Those anomalies are fun to find and collect.

Graham S likes this.
  6. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Looking at the color difference of the area surrounding that missing star, I'd say it was grease/foreign object filling that one star in the die. Odd, but not totally unusual. I'd hang on to it as an anomaly.

Graham S and Kentucky like this.
  7. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

maybe it's a shooting star?

Graham S likes this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

That's a keeper for reasons stated.

Graham S likes this.
  9. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

More like a star that collapsed into a black hole ;):wacky:

@Graham S It's a filled die error, as others have said. I would probably save it if I found it, but it really doesn't have any extra value. However, I don't think you would get too many complaints if you decided to spend it (except from the cashier, maybe) :banghead:

Graham S likes this.
  10. Silverpop

Silverpop Well-Known Member

it's a neat error anyways:D

Inspector43, Graham S and Kentucky like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted