1989 cent Misaligned die question

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by dollar, May 22, 2018.

1. dollar

dollar Junior Member

Both sides seem to be misaligned. Would this be called something other than misaligned die? 1989fullobv.jpg 1989fullrev.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

4. dollar

dollar Junior Member

paddyman98 likes this.
  5. *coins

*coins Well-Known Member

Nice find and cool error there.

dollar likes this.
  6. APX78

APX78 Well-Known Member

Great Find!

dollar likes this.
  7. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

Or if it's on the same area of both sides it would be an off center strike. Still not enough for added value.

dollar likes this.
  8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Only an off-center if part of the design is off the planchet. If not then it is just misaligned dies if the collar is present, or an uncentered broadstrike if the collar is not present.

Rev die appears to be misaligned, if the obv is it is VERY slight.

dollar likes this.
  9. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

The obverse face is not misaligned. It just shows slight finning of the rim. The reverse face is not misaligned enough to be considered an error.

dollar likes this.
  10. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

I don't believe that's correct. I'll leave it to Mike to answer that.

dollar likes this.
  11. mikediamond

Contra Conder 101, a misaligned die error is not dependent on the presence of a fully or partly deployed collar. A misalignment can occur in conjunction with a broadstrike. It can even occur in conjunction with an off-center strike, although this is very rare. In simplest terms, a misaligned die error (specifically a horizontal misalignment) occurs when either die is offset relative to the other die. Naturally, major misalignments (ones in which the design is cut off on one face) are far more commonly associated with the hammer die. Major horizontal misalignments of the anvil die do occur on rare occasions, as do major dual misalignments.

12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Mike you misunderstood my post. It was in reference to a coin that had both dies off in the same direction but the entire design still present on the coin. That if the coin is still struck in the collar then it would just be described as misaligned dies. If the collar was NOT present would it not be described as an uncentered broadstrike?

I can see that the planchet could still have been properly centered below where the dies SHOULD be, but with a broadstrike how could you tell which was properly centered the dies or the planchet? (If the dies were misaligned from each other you could tell, but if they are misaligned in the same direction?)

thomas mozzillo and dollar like this.
  13. mikediamond

Certainly, if a coin is struck out of collar and shows both designs offset to the same degree and in the same direction, then it's obvious you're dealing with an off-center strike. If the collar is fully deployed, then the only way you can get an off-center strike is if the collar is frozen in the up position (a stiff collar error).

In the case of a misaligned die error that is combined with a broadstrike, you use Occam's Razor. If one die strikes the planchet in a centered position, while the other die is offset, the latter is the one that is presumed to be misaligned. While it's theoretically possible for a planchet and a die to be offset to the same degree and in the same direction, it's highly unlikely. I've written about conundrums like these several times in Coin World.

thomas mozzillo and dollar like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted