1989 & 1990 Copper Pennies

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Coinman1974, Dec 8, 2020.

1. Coinman1974

Coinman1974 Research, Research, Research

Hello everyone,

i am curious as I just recently heard of the 1983 Copper penny, then this morning was informed of the 1989 and 1990 Copper penny, possibly from both mints. The 1983 I have found a lot of info on. Appears legit. However I have been very unsuccessful in getting any information on the 1989 & 1990 Copper pennies.

Can any one share any insight into this?

The little information I know..

The 1983 Copper was a mint error, and I believe in the Philadelphia & Denver Mints. I have heard that the Denver Mint error is way more rare the Philadelphia, even though both are extremely rare. Denver I have been told has much better quality control then Philadelphia.

The normal 1983 Philadelphia and Denver Pennies should weight 2.5 Grams, where as copper pennies weight 3.0, indicating the error penny. The 1983 Copper has brought quite a nice premium, over 5 figures if I am not mistaken, due to it s rarity.

So with that said, is there such a coin as the 1989 and 1990 Copper pennies?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

4. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Please don't post links like this. They never tell you the whole story. Technically, a transitional error could be found in change but you have a much better chance of winning the lotto.
    • There have been 2 authenticated 1983 Copper cents found out 7.7 BILLION minted
    • There has been 1 authenticated 1989-D Copper cent found out of 5.3 BILLION minted
    • By comparison, the odds of winning the Powerball jackpot is much more reasonable at only 1 in 292 Million.
    Nowhere in that link does the author say it's darn near impossible to find one. That's the problem with many of these "get rich from pocket change" sites. Nothing wrong with looking for them, but like the lottery, you need to be realistic and the Get Rich sites rarely give you realistic information. If they did, people wouldn't click on them

And if you've been here long enough, you've seen posts from new collectors seeing something on the "Blue Dog Ridge Silver Searcher Click on My Site so I Can Make Money" YouTube channel and think they hit the jackpot. Then they will argue because CT don't know anything about coins.

If you want to posts links as references (which is almost always a good thing), use legitimate sites, not click bait junk.

Just my opinion

5. SensibleSal66

OK, I get the picture and no I have only been here 6 weeks . I really didn't see a problem with the article . IMO

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Don't lose that picture.. Keep it in your wallet for reference! :snaphappy:;)

7. SensibleSal66

8. Coinman1974

Thanks for all this great information. That will save me some time in my hunts, LOL.

9. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Who informed you of this, and why didn't you ask them?

10. Coinman1974

I heard it and decided to research it. Did not come up with anything so came heer as it is a very knowledgeable site.

11. hawnbiz

hawnbiz New Member

Could it be possible that I just realized I have 55 of these 1989D Copper Pennies?! I just unwrapped a Penny Lei that was given to me back in the mid 80’s which half were these Rare ones. If there was only 1 found, did I just hit the Motherload?! I weighed each one, they were all 3.0 grams.

12. paddyman98

I know you are a new member. But oldhoopster is a member that passed away. He's no longer with us on CoinTalk.

13. paddyman98

Are you using a jewelry gram scale?
    A normal food scale weighing copper plated zinc Planchets would round up from 2.5 grams to 3 grams o_O

Copper Planchets weigh 3.11 grams.

So I doubt you have what you think you found.

14. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Nothing to see here. Just a drive by.
    Posts and disappears.

Draft saved Draft deleted