1988A $20 Bill missing 3rd print (never circulated) pulled by Bank Teller

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Jerry H, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Jerry H

Jerry H New Member

We have a 1988A $20 bill (actually 3 bills including the one before and the one after), that has no seals and no numbers.

These bills arrived in a stack of new money, and were pulled (and paid for) by the teller...never circulated. The bill before and after are perfect. The one in the middle missed the 3rd printing (?).

We have seen differing opinions about bills like this.

What might these be worth, and how do we proceed (i.e. getting the bill rated or certified, valuation, etc.)...?

Any advice is appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

One option would be to submit it to PMG for grading and attribution of the error. I don't know if you will be able to prove that it was "the note in between the other two".

Chris

CoinBreaux and Paddy54 like this.
  4. Jerry H

Jerry H New Member

Thanks Chris...my cousin was a Numismatic (?) in Raleigh, NC, but passed away several years ago. I think Ted Hendrick was involved with a society up there. I may reach out to them.

5. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

If you have had LCS (local coin store) look at them then I would assume they told you that the one before and after were each on different sheets and this is why they would be okay.

I would have them graded if it were me.

6. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

Pictures of the actual notes would be helpful.

NOS likes this.
  7. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

I would get those notes into mylar holders asap. There's already damage on the second and third ones, and if it turns out to be real and worth something, less damage is always going to be better.

8. Jerry H

Jerry H New Member

Oh...that is a xerox of the 3 bills together (the copier had scratches, apparently)...the actual bills have been are in an acid free storage and in a safe deposit box since they were new. The local coin store offered $60 for all 3 bills. LOL.

9. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

That's sad

10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

There's still a Dot Hendricks who is involved with running local shows.

11. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

With out a serial number would be next to impossible !!

12. clayirving

clayirving Supporter**

To give you an idea of the value of the note with the missing overprint, the 3rd Edition of Paper Money Errors by Dr. Fredrick J. Bart indicates a 1981 $20 FRN with missing overprint is valued at:
    • Fine: $150
    • EF: $250
    • CU: $500

13. Jerry H

Jerry H New Member

Thank you for the info...

Not to be morbid, but my elderly mom has asked me to help her with this project so that it would be "fair" to her children in her will.

She worked with (and retired from) a state bank where she was in charge of receiving new money and allocating it to the tellers. She bought the bills and put them in acid free paper, and stuck them in a safe deposit box.

Any info is a great help.

14. I.B. Washincars

I.B. Washincars Junior Member

I agree with this. The two with serial #s are consecutive. There is not a missing # in between. I'm not disputing the story, but I can't imagine how it could be proven.

15. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Can you use plate block numbers to prove it?

16. DonaldPH

DonaldPH New Member

Silly question. How can the misprinted bill be a "between" when the sequence of 7 and 8 are there ?

EDIT:I should have finished reading, already queried.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  17. Small Size

Small Size Active Member

Depends if it was an albino printing. It it was, the serial numbers will be visible under ultraviolet light.

18. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

A fairly common error but they seem to be bringing $300-$400 retail.

Might get more if graded and certified but might cost more to grade it than would be the increase in value.

I would probably pay $150 if it walked in my shop.

Draft saved Draft deleted