1988 wide A M Lincoln cent

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Dj67, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Dj67

Dj67 Active Member

Hello everyone,
    just sitting here watching YouTube videos, coin opp,
    and he was talking about the 1988 wide AM while checking some of the 80s coins he was discussing, I picked out of a handful of pennies a 1988 P wide AM, there was no mention of the Phil. no mint mark. hope a lucky find?
    thank you in advance
    Dottie IMG_20171107_105850195.jpg IMG_20171107_105409778_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg IMG_20171107_105415565_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

Hi @Dj67 the 1988 is normal to have a wide am the varieties to look for the wide am is the 1998,99 and 2000 as they were suppose to have the close am and the 1992 P and D that have the close am cause they were suppose to be wide. The 1988 however does have a transitional variety and its on the designers initials the 88 is suppose to have a straight g and the 1989 is suppose to have a flared g but the mint accidentally started using the reverse of the 89 too early. The more valuable of the 2 is the Denver transitional variety for this year. I am posting one from Philly that I found earlier this year for comparison. 19884.jpg 19885.jpg 19882.jpg

4. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Pretty sure that *all* 1988 U.S. Cents are "wide AM".

Edit: eric beat me to it.

5. Dj67

Dj67 Active Member

6. Dj67

Dj67 Active Member

I did add the video, maybe I'm hearing it wrong, check it out, thanks
    Dottie

7. Dj67

Dj67 Active Member

hi Eric, I did post the video I watched, check it out, I might have missed something, thank you, Dottie

8. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

It' all about the fg. Commonly called wide am
    It is really the reverse of 89.

9. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

So, I would like to add this 87 Lincoln cent, IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0001.JPG If you notice that this has a wide AM,
    The 88-89 transition affected the use of a bold FG (89) vs weak (88). This guy is spreading mis information. I also think that the slab he used is a mis labeled slab, as it is not correct.

Cheech9712, eric6794 and Dj67 like this.
  10. Dj67

Dj67 Active Member

eeeeks ok got it, thank you!

11. Dj67

Dj67 Active Member

oh okay got it, Thanks You so much for the pictures also, good info.

12. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

ive seen this on youtube before and it is very aggravating that there are those that post blatant lies but hey why not it's youtube lol.

Cheech9712 and Dj67 like this.
  13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

It's not that he is spreading lies, he's not identifying the right feature. The identifying and important feature to identify the 88 rev of 89 is not the WAM which both revs types have Not even PCGS featured the WAM on the label so it isn't surprising he would repeat the mistake. I chalk it up to not really knowing what he is talking about, not "spreading lies". Mis-information yes, lies no. A "lie" includes an intent to deceive and I see no evidence of that.

Cheech9712 and Dj67 like this.
  14. Pickin and Grinin

I agree with you. I guess that it is more mis-leading than, The fact that it is able to reach the mass's had me a little rev'ed up.
    A you tube user that can't take the couple minutes to type a few keywords into a search engine annoys me!

15. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

I'e seen many slabed 88 wide am

16. Heardidfwy

Heardidfwy New Member

I have an 88 wide am. Im fully aware of the common familiarity that society has with this coin so what I am needing to know and hopefully you guys would be nice enough to explain is what are the initials supposed to look like on the reverse?? Thanks in advance yo I'm new to this and people keep frustrating me with bs beating around the bush responses!

Cheech9712 and alice Z like this.
  17. Pickin and Grinin

All 88' are a wide AM. If you did a little research you could find out yourself. It should be easy if you use the search part of this site. I will say that there are I believe quite a few rev. dies used so they will all be slightly different.

18. Heardidfwy

Heardidfwy New Member

Riiiiiighhhht! Very good, which is why my intial question is about the initials

19. chrystal m. lopez

chrystal m. lopez New Member

hello. I started my coin searching about 2 yrs ago. I have found many coins that I need appraised and would like to have them sold at an auction. how do I do this? where do I start?

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  20. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

Start a new thread and show us what you have.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  21. misty lea

misty lea New Member

wow all this is wonderful information and education.. ty to everyone in here that has had a truthful informational answer.

Draft saved Draft deleted