1988 washington quarter - error? - value?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by dobeecointalk, Apr 2, 2012.

1. dobeecointalk

dobeecointalk New Member

1988 washington quarter - is it an error? - value?

thanks for your help. i'm still learning:confused: i find much of this confusing

wash dbl 180 (4).jpg wash dbl 180 (8).jpg wash dbl 180 (9).jpg wash dbl 180.jpg wash dbl 180 (8).jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

Looks like a parking lot quarter. It's worth, 25 cents.

4. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Looks interesting. Possible PMD on face of Washington. But the rim at 5 o'clock, is interesting.

5. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I agree.

6. Billyray

Billyray Junior Member

in the fourth pic you can see where it was hit, pushing the rim up, definitely Post Mint Damage

7. wheatydigger

wheatydigger Member

Definitely PMD.

8. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

9. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

sorry to say not an error but the coin has damage on it, and lots of it.. its a spender.

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Ditto!

Chris

11. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

It's been repaired though. ;)

12. Cashforgold

Cashforgold New Member

13. Maybe rethink that because im sure I have the same error if not same pretty close! Doesn't that indicate error coin rather than pmd? Just got this today

14. Maybe rethink that because im sure I have the same error if not same pretty close! Doesn't that indicate error coin rather than pmd? Just got this today

15. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

If your coin is the same, then it is damaged just as this one is. There can easily be more than one coin damaged in the same way. Post some pictures of your coin if you would like an opinion on it.

paddyman98 likes this.
  16. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Maybe it's the same coin...it's been 9 years.

paddyman98 and Mountain Man like this.

Attached Files:

18. The marks are in the same spot . wouldn't part of the core be showing through the clad instead of clad being pressed into the core?? Also to have two of the same coins damaged in the same wayFrom two different years, 6 years apart ??

19. No copper on back side

Attached Files:

20. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

That coin has been hit with something. It's not an error. It's post mint damage.

With errors, there needs to be a way that the issue could have happened in the minting process. This isn't something that could have happened during minting.

21. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

@Cynthia diane Nelson, welcome to CT. I make it a habit to read the date of the original post and leave old ones in the cemetery, but I see why you posted here, so okay.
    If you learn the minting process, you can help yourself eliminate many supposed errors.
    Think about how your coin could have left the mint in the condition it is in. About 99% are damaged after they left the mint (PMD) so are not errors.
    When starting a thread and posting photos, this is advice I give many.
    For the best results, you should post "in focus," FULL IMAGE photos (after you upload your photo, two buttons appear: Thumbnail and Full Image, click Full Image and your photo appears full size on your post and are easily enlarged by clicking on it). Photograph coins on neutral backgrounds like black, grey, or white. Crop out superfluous background so just the coin shows (you can use https://www.remove.bg for free), and post photos with correct orientation so members don't have to turn their computer in some awkward fashion to view it properly. While it isn’t always necessary, it is nice to show both the obverse and reverse, even if your question is just about one side. Members can often give more valuable information having both sides to evaluate. Add close ups of areas you have questions about and make your questions as definitive as possible so we know what you are asking for. And try to have the best lighting possible to show the most favorable photo of the coin. Hope this helps in the future. Good luck.

Draft saved Draft deleted