1988 Penny with LIIberty

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Morris A Acuff, May 3, 2019.

1. Just so you guys know you Are teaching this old dog Slowly. My guess is Die Deterioration on Liberty. It looks A bit off center on Both sides, which brings me to my question. What causes the bubble appearance on the top left side??

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Hi.. The reason your Cent looks the way it does is because it was struck with a worn die. Definitely Die Deterioration.

4. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

alurid likes this.
  5. i2i

i2i Active Member

So, most never read or absorb what they read. You stated "die deterioration" and asked a question.
    I think the "bubble" that you refer to is just from the pressure of the die on copper coated zink planchet. It is more difficult to mint the newer/post 1981 penny. In fact, there was a switch to "small date" in 1982, when zinc was introduced, because there was difficulty during the transition. The small date was easier to mint.

6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

What the heck are you talking about? You are so weird!

Oldhoopster likes this.
  7. Appreciate that. The 2 I's were pretty easy but I actually picked up 2 pennies with the Ridge Ring. An apple for the Teacher.

8. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

totally incorrect...

Oldhoopster and paddyman98 like this.
  9. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

You're confusing too many things, and in turn, potentially confusing a collector who is trying to learn. Go to error-ref and look up ridge ring (I think it's there). If not read about die deterioration.

Also, if you're not sure what your talking about, don't answer newbie questions. It's not helping. You've been on CT for awhile now and should know that getting 3-4 responses that agree, especially if some are from experienced numismatists, is an indication that it's the correct response.

@Morris A Acuff you're correct, it is DDD as others have previously confirmed

Morris A Acuff and paddyman98 like this.
  10. Appreciate it. At 60+ you kinda just go with the flow. I have figured out the most respected and some of the not so Tolerant folks. As you said majority rules and I do Appreciate all you guys help and opinions

Last edited: May 3, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted