1988 P Quarter Lamination Error?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Brandoniak, May 3, 2012.

1. Brandoniak

Brandoniak New Member

Hello everyone, I just found this quarter in the register at my work. I'm usually on the lookout for odd coins, and I noticed this one made a different sound when it hit the other quarters and it was brown/copper on one side. I'm completely new to this, so I figured I would ask the experts and see if you guys agree that there is a lamination error/missing clad layer. I included a regular quarter to the right of it just for reference and the other side looks normal to me, but I'm no expert. Thanks.

http://i.pgu.me/iVbqBVAc_original.jpg
    http://i.pgu.me/CT5K+qVT_original.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Stang1968

Stang1968 Member

Very interesting... what does the edge of the coin look like?

4. Brandoniak

Brandoniak New Member

The edge was very difficult to photograph, but I tried :confused: It looks like a normal quarter edge, just missing the thin silver-colored strip corresponding to the obverse: ~25% silver-colored on the edge corresponding to the normal reverse, the rest is that brown/copper color.

Crappy pic: http://i.pgu.me/hZ12y6Of_original.jpg

5. Brandoniak

Brandoniak New Member

6. rnino

rnino New Member

It looks like the type I have also

I have attached pics. it appears that it is missing the clad layer on yours?

Attached Files:

7. Brandoniak

Brandoniak New Member

I'm not sure, it appears that the clad layer is missing entirely on mine but it could have happened either during the minting process or after. I was hoping someone on here with more experience with these types of errors might be able to help determine which one it was. Sorry I can't help with yours either, hopefully someone will come along with answers for both of us.

8. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Welcome to CT, Brandon.
    I don't know much about this kind of error, and don't want to get you overly excited, but it seems to me that the obverse strike is too sharp for that coin to have lost it's lamination after striking. It looks like it may have been struck with only the two layers and not the normal three.
    I'm sure that some CT members that know more about these errors will be around soon to tell you more.

9. cciesielski01

cciesielski01 Laced Up

Looks like it could be missing the obverse clad layer. Nice find!

10. Brandoniak

Brandoniak New Member

Thanks for the welcome and the info. I took it by a local coin dealer today but they admitted they did not know much about error coins. They suggested that I check out the Long Beach Coin, Stamp & Collectibles Expo in a few weeks and there are bound to be a few error experts there, but I think I'll keep asking around with local collectors until then.

Thanks!

11. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

Looks good to me...

12. Brandoniak

Brandoniak New Member

Alright, took it to another local coin dealer, these guys were much more knowledgeable. Despite the fact that they were apparently closed for inventory but had the front door open, they were still willing to take a look at my coin. It weighed in at around 4 grams (they didn't say the exact weight) when it should be around 5.6 grams, so it's definitely a little light. They said it was too bad it was so damaged, since error collectors usually want something a little more pristine. Also, they offered to take a closer look at it in a few months when they're done with inventory. Anyone feel like taking a guess at a potential grade/value, or is it even worth it? lol

Edit: Oh yeah, they said it's definitely a missing clad layer like I suspected. Forgot to say that, kind of important...

13. iGradeMS70

iGradeMS70 AKA BustHalfBrian

Certainly isn't a lamination error - It's something much better!

IMHO, it's missing its obverse clad layer. It's circulated a bit, but it's still a $20-$30 piece.

Fantastic find! :)

-Brian

14. iGradeMS70

iGradeMS70 AKA BustHalfBrian

Sorry to say, your coin isn't an error - it's been damaged, most likely with the use of chemicals to eroded the clad layer, exposing the copper, and making it appear is if it were an error.

Again, this is just my honest opinion.

-Brian

15. maverickx31

maverickx31 Member

Great find! I believe this is a genuine missing clad error! The weight difference is definitly a tell tale sign. I had an Indiana State quarter a year ago with a missing clad that looked a lot like this one. Took it to the local authorized PCGS expert in town and they verified it. He wanted to give me 35.00 dollars for it and said he would sell it for 50. Nice find!

16. Javagirl37

Javagirl37 New Member

i have a 1988 quarter that appears to have the same mark on side of his head that the 1994 quarter from first posting. is it worth anything

Draft saved Draft deleted