1988 Doubled Die penny?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Tanner1004, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Tanner1004

Tanner1004 New Member

I have been searching through 4 rolls of pennies a lot lately. I the four rolls, I found 5 wheat pennies, one of which was a 1940 :) But I found this one today. It has a doubled look to the I and B in the word LIBERTY. It is a 1988 D penny. Can anybody help with finding the value or if this is even a true Doubled Die? Thank you!!

-Tanner

DSC00039.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Shoewrecky

Shoewrecky Coin Hoarder

4. Tanner1004

Tanner1004 New Member

DSC00050.JPG DSC00046.JPG DSC00043.JPG

Here is some more pics. Sorry for the quality :(

5. dbldie

dbldie New Member

I don't see any doubling, but I might not be looking close enough. I'd prefer to have the LIBE lit up, sort of like lighting the opposite side of the picture in your last closeup.

ddollard58 likes this.
  6. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

The thing about the Zinclons is that the plating often bulges when stamped as gasses in the metal layers are compressed. There is a lot of what I call "Ghosting". I've found some that had two complete mint marks even. But if you can take a toothpick and push down on what you think is doubled. If it collapses, then it's not a doubled die strike. Just a gas bubble that lifted the plating/ These coins are pretty sad. They get bubbles in them, rot out under the plating and even fall apart.

gary

7. InternetJunky

InternetJunky New Member

Without closer images there isn't a way to tell. Chances are it is machine doubling..quite common on Zincolns. Are you able to take closer images?

8. Tanner1004

Tanner1004 New Member

No. I have a 10X loupe and those pics is as close as I can get without it being blurry.

9. InternetJunky

InternetJunky New Member

Upon further examination I believe it is machine doubling. Does not carry a premium.

ddollard58 likes this.
  10. jerryh75

jerryh75 New Member

11. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

Definitely machine doubling.

12. luckyone

luckyone New Member

what about this one... i just found it. is it worth anything?

Attached Files:

13. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

It's worth one cent. The coin has plating issues around the mintmark.

Draft saved Draft deleted