1988 D penny possible DDO?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by MatrixMP-9, Nov 3, 2019.

1. MatrixMP-9

MatrixMP-9 Well-Known Member

I was checking this one out and thought at first it might be an RPM since the MM was so thick on the east side of it. I tried to line up some RPMs and I dont think they quite line up.

I went ahead and checked VV and Wexlers for 88 D DDOs and it looks like the MM positioning among others things look right. DDO 001 on variety vista?? These lincolns are so hard to look at with all the blistering and soforth. For me its really tough to match up gouges and markers.

IMG_7407.jpg IMG_7408.jpg IMG_7409.jpg Snapshot000003.jpg Snapshot000000.jpg Snapshot000001.jpg Snapshot000002.jpg Snapshot000004.jpg Snapshot000005.jpg Snapshot000006.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

DDD - Die Deterioration Doubling
    Not a Doubled Die.. IMHO

4. MatrixMP-9

Thanks Paddy. That D just looks way too thick and with that weird layer look to it. I cant definitively line anything up. Its even harder with all the blistering and PMD.

5. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I think that if you spend a little more time learning about doubled dies, you'd comfortably come to the conclusion that this is not one.

doubling explained.jpeg doubling.jpg

6. MatrixMP-9

You know what I think? I think you should not worry about what I think or what you think I need to spend time doing. I wish you would ignore my threads. Ive seen that chart above 4 million times and you know it. It is NOT the end all answer to every coin Seattle. I can show you 100 coins on Wexler and Variety that are not NOTCHED. Sometimes some of us who are part time and enjoy this hobby...HOBBY...and it is a hobby to some of us...are having fun doing this. You sap the "fun" right out man. I thought the D looked a bit different on my coin. It doesnt look "shelf like" and is notched at the bottom and per the picture Coop made above, the D has "increased" in size. But imposing your knowledge and opinion in such a way and to assume you know what makes me "comfortable" is actually kind of creepy. Feel free to ignore all my posts and threads Seattle.

7. Seattlite86

Point taken, I'm a very logic-based person. It's much more fun showing up to an error or variety thread that is an actual error or variety. The ratio is admittedly pretty low, and most are usually obviously not what people think they are. I see now why you chose that avatar. I apologize for insulting you. If you are ever unsure about something you checked on Wexler, you can go ahead and tag @Rick Stachowski who understands varieties much better than I do. Much of the Wexler stuff looks like MDD to me. Have a better day.

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  8. MatrixMP-9

Seattlite...my apologies. I was in a bud hole mood last night and should not have even logged in. You were just trying to help. I appreciate your comments even if I disagree or whatever. I am admittedly horrible at this sport and dont devote near enough real time to it. Im generally very good spirited but I got some news Saturday morning that kind of hit me wrong and Im still not totally dealing with it well. I had a friend up in Chicago who was an alcoholic but was 6 months sober. He fell off the wagon friday night. He died in the most stupid way imaginable. He was drinking all night and at about 1 a.m. decided to go home. For some reason, he walked past his car and into the road behind the parking lot and was hit...drug 50 yards under a pickup truck basically worn down to nothing by the time it stopped. He was an idiot and was doing so well. Nobody will ever know what was going through his head. He had a good life. Wasnt suicidal as some might assume. I know that wasnt it. I personally dont understand alcoholism at all and maybe thats my problem with it all. Just such a dumb way to die and leave his family behind wondering. Anyway, not cool of me to act like that toward anyone no matter what they say.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  9. Seattlite86

I'm terribly sorry for your loss. I lost someone earlier this year to alcoholism, and while I can't pretend to understand how it has impacted you, misery loves company. I hope you have a better day.

10. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Keep looking you'll find one .

Seattlite86 and MatrixMP-9 like this.
  11. MatrixMP-9

These Zinc pennies are aggravating. Hard enough trying to look past PMD and the zincolns just add to the challenge.

Seattlite86 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted