1988-D Cent

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by eealopez, Aug 11, 2010.

1. eealopez

eealopez Junior Member

I'm not sure what I'm looking at. Found this tonight searching a roll. There is a line from the "t" in Liberty to the "u" in Trust. The 'line' looks like drops on top of the coin. It doesn't look like a crack, nor metal chipping.

There is an illustion of a axis line. It's Lincoln's beard line.

Any idea? 1988D Cent_Line thru Head.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. richarrb

richarrb Junior Member

Looks like lamination blisters? Also, is there a RPM or is that machine doubling?

4. eealopez

eealopez Junior Member

No RPM or doubling. I think it's just the angle of the pic and buildup around the D.

5. eealopez

eealopez Junior Member

What does lamination blisters mean? Is it common? I'm keeping the cent; nevertheless, cuz it makes me smile.

6. cerdsalicious

cerdsalicious BigShot

Lincoln got shot

7. robbudo

robbudo Indian Error Collector

Could be scratch on the die? There is a very similar looking problem on an Indian cent (can't remember which year off hand). Might depend on whether there are other identical ones out there.

8. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Gas bubble under the plating.

This is mine on an '82:

[​IMG]

9. eealopez

eealopez Junior Member

10. eealopez

eealopez Junior Member

On page 31 of Strike it Rich with Coin Collecting - Plating Blisters (Non-collectible)

"Plating blisters may occur in isolated areas or all over the surfaces of a copper plated zinc cent. The blisters are most often the result of a condition known as "foaming," associated with the use of contaminated electrolyte used to facilitate the electroplating of the cent blanks. Other organic pollutants affecting the plating or zinc oxidation may also be factors."

11. ikandiggit

12. robbudo

haha - tell ebay they are non-collectible ...

13. eealopez

eealopez Junior Member

I wonder about ebay 'rare' listings. Does the seller really believe they have something 'rare' because they've never seen such a thing and believe they can make a few bucks fast or are the sellers out their knowingly ripping people off. I think it's a little of both.

I've seen ebay listings for 'VERY RARE' upside down lettering on Presidential dollars. Just a shame, isn't it.

14. robbudo

any ebay seller knows their sales are based on supply & demand. Are there any of these coins on ebay right now? maybe a couple. no supply! does that mean it's worth $100? no way. but as much as a seller can make it seem like these are in demand, and they sure will try, the more they make. ignorance or deception? usually both. sometimes much more one than the other.

15. eealopez

eealopez Junior Member

Since I just started collecting early this year I've been trying to catch-up from the 2007 introduction of the Presidential coins. I note that persons can't sell a single dollar for a dollar. No buyer demand for single coins. Buyer demand does exist for rolls. I've been buying rolls, when the price is right.

16. ikandiggit

Just imagine being a new collector, buying your first error... say an extremely rare "Assassination Lincoln" memorial cent for $300 (a seller sold one like mine on ebay last year for that). Feeling proud, you show it off and find out it's not an error and is worth one cent. You'd get pretty discouraged with the hobby where it seems so many people take advantage of newbies (referring to unscrupulous seller's flogging non-errors as rare and scarce items).

17. panda

panda Junior Member

:eek: when did this happen!! i just seen him on a commercial! it was sad that his popularity went down so much he had to resort to tv commercials, but nobody deserves to be shot... i will believe it when either the national enquirer or fox news reports it..

next you will be telling me we landed on the moon!!

nice cent though :thumb:

18. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

That does not look like a gas bubble to me. I think it is from a damaged die. This is purely a guess, but that looks like a copper cent to me rather than a plated cent.

19. ikandiggit

You know you're right! I posted this just before my afternoon nap. I have one that's similar that is a long gas bubble and I thought this was it without really looking closely at the pic. Now I can't find the pic of the other one or the actual coin (it's in one of my boxes somewhere.) Talk about screwing up a thread!

Sorry about that.:eek:

Draft saved Draft deleted