1988 cent with lathe lines maybe

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by billy b, Mar 29, 2015.

1. billy b

billy b Active Member

I can see die scratches all over it .do you think it could be a mad clash? Image352.jpg Image351.jpg Image350.jpg

swamp yankee likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Looks like die polishing. Perhaps there was a clash there at one point. I don't see one now. Lathe lines would be circular.

deacon2828 likes this.
  4. billy b

billy b Active Member

YEAH it's a wild one for sure. I really cant tell which way there going.

5. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

I'll vote for die polishing.

6. oi!

oi! Member

Me too

7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

billy b - Remember that Lathe Lines are circular. It looks like you have a Cent with Die Polishing Lines - Here is an explanation from the Vamworld Website -

Quote "Die Polishing is the process of cleaning the dies used to strike a coin. Over the course of the life of a working die, dirt and grime may accumulate on the die itself. In addition, the die may acquire clash marks or other imperfections that a mint worker might try to polish away in an attempt to strike "cleaner" coins.
    Die polishing lines are also noteworthy. These "hairlines" are sometimes confused with abrasions on the coin or even whizzing." Unquote

8. billy b

billy b Active Member

Thank's for the help y'all. I was looking between columns 10 & 11 at the top; and it kind of looks like the 1960 something coin on the link u posted paddyman 98 [ circular]

9. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

10. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Definitely not from a lathe as it would have faced off the whole top of the coin where it was used and as others stated always cuts an almost perfect circle .

Draft saved Draft deleted