1988/88 D/D double die?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by mpaulson, Dec 14, 2005.

1. mpaulson

mpaulson New Member

Still looking for my first double die, I found this the other day, not sure if it's large enough to be one, here is a coparision to another coin of the same date.
    I think the 88 and the D have the doulbing.

Any ideas??

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. craton

craton New Member

I'm certain that this is not a Doubled Die and it has to do with the plating on the coin moving durring the strike. I could be wrong about the plating part but I'm certain that it isn't a doubled die.

4. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

Hi,
    Jason is correct, not a doubled die.
    Have Fun,
    Bill

5. atrox001

atrox001 Senior Member

You guys are right about not being a doubled die... but what about the possible RPM? I would like to see that D from different angels.

Larry Nienaber

6. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

I agree it could be a RPM

In the picture of the first cent, on the east 8 - top loop - east side is straight instead of round - is that normal?

7. craton

craton New Member

It isn't an RPM either.

8. lawdogct

lawdogct Coin Collector

Too new to be a RPM if memory servers correctly. I forget the exact date, but the method of mint marking was changed so that they are no longer hand stamped.

The effect your looking at is caused by the difference in the charecteristics of the copper and zinc. If the strike pressure had been a bit higher, it would have torn the copper plating revealing the zinc below. In this case it mearly bubbled it up a little.

When searching for double-dies, personally I tend to check out the serrifs first. If you see double (or trible or more) serrifs ( pointy parts of the letters and numbers) and they are all nicely rounded (not flattened out) then you may have something more than mechanical doubling.

Good luck in the hunt....I'm still looking for my first dd too ;)

9. atrox001

atrox001 Senior Member

Lawdogct...I believe you will find that the working dies were hand punched prior to 1990.

When looking for doubled dies you said you check out the serifs first, you may have better luck if you also look for extra thickness.

Larry Nienaber

10. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

The late 80's in Lincoln Cents were a dissaster in quality. I collect error coins and have virtually hundreds that look like that from the 80's. Not sure why or how but that kind of fault is common and not worth a great deal but I've noticed the increase of them at coin shows recently.

11. jerryh75

jerryh75 New Member

Yes I'm Jerry age 75 I got a 1988 d double died on The Ellen and libertyThere was a gentleman earlier talking about it or one like itHe is correctI do not know the value at this timeSome of you guys need to pay attention to your call and a little better and realize what a double. He is

12. 20181028_140837.jpg HAS ANYONE SEEN THIS BEFORE

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted