1987DLincoln Penny DDO Comments please

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Newb2coins, Nov 2, 2021.

1. Newb2coins

Newb2coins Member

9488F7AF-7534-4262-8618-44EEDC60848C.jpeg FAF2D35B-B149-482B-AC16-1F8B7FE1E852.jpeg 605EBF0C-976F-4FA4-A23E-80AED1080CC1.jpeg 9D20DD97-27AB-4817-B600-0F609509A551.jpeg 9D20DD97-27AB-4817-B600-0F609509A551.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

No this zilincon is approaching the last stage with all those plating bubbles and issues.When they pop its only a matter of time before the coin is nothing,spend it while you still can.

4. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

First, you are inquiring about DDO and most of the pics are of the reverse. Second, it looks like Split Plate Doubling to me. IMO

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The DDO you are asking about is clear. If you look at the mint mark you can see the zinc or white metal showing. This is typical for Split Plate doubling. It’s common. That and all those bubbles are not good so spend it.

6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

It would help a lot if you simply stated/asked what you see or need info about

Inspector43 likes this.
  7. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I agree, spend it. Thanks for the share, keep posting K.

8. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

@Newb2coins Yes, helpful to state/ask a specific question and include all the pics, including close-ups, to get members to assess without guessing.

All the defects have been addressed: poor surface with grainy bubbles on both sides which will eventually rupture and the coin will disintegrate. And split-plate doubling on both sides means the surface has already been ruptured during the manufacturing process, meaning: it is only a matter of time before you don’t have a coin anymore. Most folks don’t like the copper plated cents precisely for this reason…they were poorly designed and poorly made.

Shield cents are made with better planchets that took a long time to achieve, but the Mint still continues to produce crappy coinage by using deteriorated dies long past their useful lives.

You can mitigate the self-destruction aspect by carefully choosing well struck coins and putting them in flips or airtites, but they probably aren’t worth the trouble or expense. Getting them into protection means attempts at conservation/preservation, and there are few that merit that level, to me only known varieties like an ‘84 double ear, an ‘88 with a Reverse of ‘89 or Close AM or Wide AM types. And, of course, there is putting it into a flip just because you like the look of it because it has pretty toning…Spark

9. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

In case I haven't welcomed you already, welcome to CT.
    Around the middle of 1982, the mint switched to copper plated zinc blanks. Many since then have plating issues. I believe that is what's going on with your coin. NAV, not an error and no added value, but keep looking and good luck.
    PS - Thanks for post photos Full Image.

10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I think that cent has measles!!! Make sure and wash your hands.

11. Newb2coins

Newb2coins Member

For those of you that responded with mature and kind comments, thank you very much. I will do better with questioning and pictures. I have a
    1969D penny with what I believe is floating roof and no initials. I am posting that next.

Spark1951 likes this.
  12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Please do so. Sounds like it has good possibilities.

Draft saved Draft deleted