1987 Washington Quarter-Rim to Rim Die Crack?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Rosalita, Dec 15, 2021.

1. Rosalita

Rosalita Active Member

Hi guys,

I have this 1987 P Washington Quarter and notice that on the reverse what appears to be a large die crack running from the top rim to the bottom rim. Can someone help me determine if this a large die crack?

1DSCN8593a.jpg 2DSCN8583a.jpg 3DSCN8587b.jpg 4DSCN8586a.jpg 5DSCN8578a.jpg 6DSCN8580a.jpg 9DSCN8571a.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Looks to me that your so called die crack is actually post mint damage. Cut from something.

Mr.Q, Mountain Man, tommyc03 and 2 others like this.
  4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Definitely is, you can see the displaced metal fairly easy.

Mr.Q and tommyc03 like this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Afraid it’s PMD. If you look closely you can see metal on either and both sides of the line. Also, please note how straight the line is. Cracks aren’t that straight. It’s as if someone put a ruler on the coin and then drew a knife across the coin, thus giving the coin its current look.

6. Rosalita

Rosalita Active Member

Ok thanks for your answer. This is why I asked the question. I was not sure about this. It's rather strange that someone would actually cut a coin.

Kentucky and paddyman98 like this.
  7. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Let's try and call a spade a spade. PMD means nothing. While it covers an infinite number of things it is bot very specific. The coin's reverse is scratched. The coin's obverse is also but those curved scratches near the rim are probably from a crimping machine.

8. Kasia

I'll have to disagree. For a large part of people collecting coins, just knowing something is Post Mint Damage as opposed to something worth having is good enough. Doesn't matter if it is scratched, or whatever on most coins.

Kentucky likes this.
  9. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Is the reverse scratched, gouged, or cut?

As @Kasia said, does it really matter what caused the damage? I think everyone agrees it's PMD. Many times, debating what kind of PMD can be an exercise in futility. Just my opinion.

10. Kasia

Not scratched. Too extensive and deep and straight for that. Maybe could call it gouged, but again, I would think that the rim to rim (even on the edge) kind of negates that. Cut is slightly weird, too, but I can't seem to readily say why.

11. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Looks like a knife attack and agree with above.It really doesn't matter,damage is damage but some members are curious as what possibly caused the damage.We're all different in a way you still have 25 cents.

12. Insider

Kasia, posted: "l have to disagree. For a large part of people collecting coins, just knowing something is Post Mint Damage as opposed to something worth having is good enough. Doesn't matter if it is scratched, or whatever on most coins."

That's OK. :yawn: I believe in standards like being the best you can be. :bookworm: So, knowing it is PMD :bookworm: get's the student a "D." :vomit: I would not wish to be a "D" student.

Oldhoopster, posted: "Is the reverse scratched, gouged, or cut?

IMO, you can say a scratch is a "cut" into something while a "gouge" is more of a "jab" that cut's into a surface. IMO, this is a DEEP SCRATCH as gouges are much wider and usually shorter.

As @Kasia said, does it really matter what caused the damage? [No, the CAUSE is not important. We were not there when it happened. What is important (Only if you wish to be an "A" student) is to be able to describe and then convey what you see to someone who cannot see the coin.] I think everyone agrees it's PMD. Many times, debating what kind of PMD can be an exercise in futility. [Probably true if a bunch of uninformed folks are debating. Furthermore, if anyone thinks I'm :troll: being a KIA or too tough with folks satisfied being "D" collectors...:D:p] Just my opinion."

Kasia, posted: "Not scratched. [Is too :hilarious:] Too extensive and deep and straight for that. [I agree with your perfect description of A DEEP SCRATCH!]

Maybe could call it gouged, but again, I would think that the rim to rim (even on the edge) kind of negates that. Cut is slightly weird, too, but I can't seem to readily say why." Great thinking! A very knowledgeable :bookworm: comment. :happy:

13. Kasia

All I can say at this point is "wow" and bless your heart.

Mickey in PDX and Insider like this.
  14. Insider

I like you a lot also [HEART EMOJI] and I'm glad you took my :angelic: comments as they were intended. ;)

15. Kasia

You betcha

16. Insider

I call this mark a "cut."

IMG_6709.JPG

17. Oldhoopster

And I call this a cut.

upload_2021-12-15_15-43-24.png

Insider likes this.
  18. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Not cracked, furrowed.

19. Insider

Hey "cut." If you put that in the TPGS computer under "details," the boss would call you into the office for a chat and from then on your nickname in the grading room would be "Cut." :D

20. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

@Rosalita, an easy tell on such coins is to determine if the mark is incused or raised. Using a wooden tooth pick, or your finger nail, if you have them, gently go over the mark and you should be able to tell if it is incused. If it is, it is most likely a scratch that occurred after it left the mint.

Rosalita and Insider like this.
  21. Oldhoopster

That's why I don't work for a TPG. I chose a much simpler job working in material science for the aircraft/aerospace industry. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted