1987 U.S. quarter No reeding - 1-1.5 millimeter -precise- "gap" all the way around

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Iamba92, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Iamba92

Iamba92 New Member

coin.jpg I came across this 1987 quarter with no reeding. The weight feels almost coin 2.jpg like a dime. Where the reeding should be there's a 1.1.5 millimeter gap (estimating) its really precise all the way around where the reeding should be. I looked it up and there's one other thing about it that I found except the gap part. I would like to know about this; if it's real, if it's an error or damaged, and if possible an estimate appraisal would be nice. I tried taking a few pictures but my camera sucks. I used to collect older coins like morgan dollars and mostly old silver coins. This is my first error coin. I hope. ANY INFO HELPS

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Your coin was probably soaked in acid. The acid ate away the softer copper core faster than the harder cupro-nickel outer layers.

4. Iamba92

Iamba92 New Member

Sorry to say but I don't think that's it. it's definitely some kind of gouge or cut from a machine I can see the marks I don't know how they transport the planchets in the mint but I'm guessing that's what did it. I wish my camera was better so you could see what I'm seeing. It really does look too precise to be man made cut.

5. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

You asked for our help and I told you what I think it is. Apparantly you are a better authority on error coins than me.

6. Iamba92

Iamba92 New Member

It's the same depth all the way around except the top part where it go pinched by something. That's precise too. No jagged or bent marks from a squeeze cutter like a person using pliers or something. The way it is makes me think it was laying flat and something cut into it maybe it got stuck or something I don't know but I don't think it's damaged I think it came out like this. I just wish I could find out For sure. I have my first child on the way and the money would help so if it does turn out to be real and worth money I'd like some tips on selling it.

7. Iamba92

Iamba92 New Member

Don't be like that. Like I said my iPod camera isn't good I'm telling you it's a cut you obviously know more than me in this area but my reasoning is that the camera doesn't show the details and I know in this matter that's what counts. So I'm asking hypothetically if it were an error how do you think it happened and what I should do with it.

8. coinguy-matthew

coinguy-matthew Ike Crazy

You already got your answer but since you seem to disregard what i see as expert advice no one can help you. Open your eyes and ears you might learn something......:eek:

9. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

There's no way to speculate how it could "hypothetically" happen at the mint because it is not an error and did not occur there. It is worth face value...25 cents. If you want to keep it as a conversation piece, then go ahead. Otherwise, I would toss it back into circulation.
    Keep up the hunt!

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Without a better close-up that isn't so blurry, it's going to be hard to say. It looks like the reeding is missing on one-half of the coin. If that is the case, my gut reaction would be that it was cut away using a lathe so that it could be inserted into another hollowed-out coin like is often done for a magician's coin.

Chris

11. Iamba92

Iamba92 New Member

Ok I understand but if this was your first possible error would you go off the first no you got? Excuse my language but don't be a edited about it. If anything I'd like to know why someone would soak it in acid. Is it a test quarter or something?

12. dsmith23

dsmith23 Gotta get 'em all

Who knows why people do things to coins, but I agree it appears to be acid.

13. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

Any reeded coin in which the core is recessed has been altered outside the Mint. While acid can accomplish this, so can machining.

14. Iamba92

Iamba92 New Member

We'll I appreciate everything you guys taught me today. Didn't mean to sound argumentative just curious. Will keep the hunt up I always do will stay on the site for other questions

15. coinguy-matthew

I apologize point taken but you have to understand we see many of these similar acid coins. Many times the OP will argue to the death about how it must surely be an amazingly rare error when in fact we know this type of error is just not possible.

16. Iamba92

Iamba92 New Member

How wouldn't it be possible? Like I said I'm not familiar with the minting process. And honestly looking closer I can see how maybe it was soaked but it was for sure cut for some reason cause there's still some copper on the edges and the inside of the gap is flat the marks kinda look like a lathe but ignorant or not I'm probably gonna get it checked out tomorrow.

17. dsmith23

dsmith23 Gotta get 'em all

Be sure and let us know the outcome.

18. coinguy-matthew

19. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I don't think so. The OP's coin has a very smooth and even edge which suggests (at least to me) that it was cut by a machine.

Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted