1987 pruned penny?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by chazmasterman, Mar 3, 2015.

1. chazmasterman

chazmasterman Change your Change

Hey guy's I seen this penny. and was hoping to get educated. It just kinda stands out there. It looks pruned. lol And was wondering why and what happened. any input would be great ty.
    Charles.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chazmasterman

forgot one

Attached Files:

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Pruned as in trimmed down with pruning shears or dipped in prune juice? o_O

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Pruned? What do you mean?

Chris

6. chazmasterman

I am referring to as in the center of the columns on the back. and the date. mainly the "7"

7. chazmasterman

as if you spent to much time in the bath tub! shriveled

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Gotcha! I wonder if it has anything to do with the zinc/copper composition. It sure looks like crap.

Chris

9. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

die deterioration...

10. chazmasterman

lol. YEP sure looks like crap! I think maybe it could be both, die deterioration and the zinc/copper composition. Maybe IDK But what about heat? It almost looks like a pour. As in if the metal was cooling and shrank or something.I took a second look, at and added these pic's. as if the center or inner sections of certain letters evaporated? BTW , I been taking these pic's with my cell phone. I finally got that part figured out. Also on the last pic, labeled "states" I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to fill me in as to why so many pennies are wore on the back side just in one small spot only? As you look at the back side, allot seem to be heavily wore @ the 11:00 or the 1:00 mark? I know there is a reason. It would be on states or the of part. I just don't know what it is? any links?

Attached Files:

11. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

12. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

this is usually caused by a mint worker who over polished the die, while searching cents i've found hundreds where the "ES" of "STATES" and "OF" are almost completely polished away and on many of them you can see the polish lines..

13. Spud Koolzip

Spud Koolzip Member

If you saw a penny, 'pruned' or otherwise, when you were looking at this coin, you seriously need your eyes checked. This is a cent.

14. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

Looks like a "dug" coin as in metal detector kind w/environmental damage to me.....

Draft saved Draft deleted