1987 Memorial DD or PMD

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by MatrixMP-9, Jun 11, 2018.

1. MatrixMP-9

MatrixMP-9 Well-Known Member

This 87 really stuck out when looking through a roll. I cant tell for certain if its a mint error or PMD. "GOD" just doesnt look right and neither does "Liberty". alost like they were smeared or something. Also, does his tie always look like that? It looks wrong. 87.jpg 873.jpg 875.jpg 876.jpg 877.jpg 878.jpg 879.jpg 8710.jpg 8712.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MatrixMP-9

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

It is just a worn die strike issue.. Die Deterioration on all you are seeing.

5. MatrixMP-9

I feel dumb asking this since I look at pennies so much lately. The light in my microscope died and needs batteries so I cant even look at normal pennies to see if the "tie" is right. I looked at some online and cant even make a good determination. does it look right? That little part on what would be Lincolns left...that little part sticking out?

6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

About the bowtie... anything that needs to be magnified that much really is nothing major..
    It is a plated Cent so there could be a minor plating issue on the bowtie.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  7. MatrixMP-9

Makes sense. thank you!

8. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

This is a fad that everything must be looked at in high definition and more than 5* magnification. It has made the process of checking for Variety's quite ridiculous.

Santinidollar likes this.
  9. MatrixMP-9

I have no idea what the mag is on mine. I know its a pain in the ***. I bought it for like $3 on ebay and it seems to work really good but putting in on and taking it off my iphone becomes a chore. I sometimes just use these little Fresnel lenses but they get dirty easy and it makes it hard to see. I want to get an old fashioned big ass magnifying glass that I can just pick up and use to see. I am neither good enough nor know enough to justify some elaborate $300 scope. We have Hitachi electron scopes at work that are amazing for cellular work but for some reason Im thinking you cant put metal in them, IDK...it would be fun though just once.

10. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I'd love to play with an electron for a while.
    Look up @Electron John he's taken a few.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    Electron John likes this.
  11. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

If they are transmission electron microscopes, they only see through objects, Scanning electron microscopes bounce the beam off of the surface and thus are useable. I suspect yours are the first type. Actually both types can be used for cellular work, transmission for looking at objects inside cells ( myofibrils, gap junctions , DNA/RNA , etc. Scanning is used to observe the surface of the cells where receptor molecules , antigens, etc. are located. I have used both, but not with coins. I recommend a magnifier like below, either 7x or 10x. jim

https://www.amazon.com/BelOMO-Tripl...4642&sr=1-1&keywords=belomo+10x+triplet+loupe

Electron John likes this.
  12. Electron John

Electron John Active Member

Desertgem is right about the difference between TEM's and SEM's. For coins an SEM will let you see all kinds of cool surface detail. As Pickin and Grinin said, it can get ridiculous. But it can be fun to play around with them.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted