1987 Lincoln Cent. Worthless error or PMD?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Tompkins316, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Tompkins316

Tompkins316 Member

Hey everyone,

Just found this 1987 cent while roll searching and it caught my eye. I've seen others like this, but not to this degree.

I was wondering if this is just PMD or an actual error. I know that if it is an error its not worth much or anything at all, but I just wanna know to get better at differentiating PMD from true errors.

lincoln_0001.jpg

As you can see there is a "rim" (don't know what to call it lol) going through the L in Liberty and all the way through IN GOD WE.

Despite the scan it is much more noticeable in person, and almost looks to be raised, distorting the letters it goes through. Also, if it matters, the rim right at north and south is about 25% thinner than east and west.

Is this a product of minting, or was it just mashed against another coin leaving this mark?

EDIT: Opened up another roll and found another 1987 with the same thing as this but more pronounced, the extra "rim" almost goes all the way around the coin on this one

Thanks for the help

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

That is the result of a worn die, no added value

Richard

4. Tompkins316

Tompkins316 Member

Thanks..I knew it wasn't worth anything but just couldn't remember what it would be called

5. Tompkins316

Tompkins316 Member

Another question about a different coin I found.

What would it be if I found a coin where the 1 in the date is weak, and the is no 4th digit at all. Also, the LIB in liberty is missing.

From what I can see it doesn't look like they were filed off or any kind of PMD

6. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

I would need to see pics to be sure but if it is uncirculated it sounds like it would be a grease fille die

7. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

Agreed on both counts.

8. Tompkins316

Tompkins316 Member

Definitely circulated lol but it's definitely not PMD. After reading up on grease filled dies I think this is what it is

Draft saved Draft deleted