1987 Lincoln cent with leaning D

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Robin Gray, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Robin Gray

Robin Gray Active Member

Hello everyone. I just found a 1987D with the D leaning towards the right or east. I see a picture of same coin on line. Also, I read explanations about errors listed on this coin. So, is this leaning D part of a different error, or an error in itself? The explanations on line left me just asking more questions.
    Thanks in advance!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Tilted mint marks are pretty common. The MM used to be hand punched by a technician and if not spot on could be pointed in any direction. Hand punching stopped around 1990/91. Someone could fact check me on the exact date.

4. Robin Gray

Robin Gray Active Member

Yes, I just read about that, you're spot on! Learn something new everyday! Thanks so much!

5. Robin Gray

Robin Gray Active Member

Well. I went back and looked at The D again. Apparently, there is another D under the leaning D. The D underneath is going straight up, with the leaning D punched over it. This must be some kind of error.

6. Robin Gray

Robin Gray Active Member

Well, according to Variety Vista.com it is a RPM002 variety. At least that's what it looks like the most.

7. Idries Pappas

Idries Pappas Well-Known Member

Could you post pictures?

8. Robin Gray

Robin Gray Active Member

I tried to take pictures. But there's no way I could show the D underneath. If you go to
    Variety vista.com and put in 1987 D Lincoln cent mint mark, all 10 of the possible mintmark positions come up. Sorry!

Draft saved Draft deleted