1987 D Penny

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Jimmy sanchez, Nov 2, 2021.

1. Jimmy sanchez

Jimmy sanchez Active Member

I have this 1987 D penny I found CRH. I noticed that the makers initials are missing. Which is the "FG"..My question is, do you find folks know of any other 1987 D pennies with missing initials out There?..Attached are the images of this penny. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. 20211101_233647.jpg 20211101_233735.jpg 20211101_233825.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Yes this is very common just an extremely worn die strike and a zilincon,still only a cent.

4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Your cent suffers from an extreme amount of die abrasion and die deterioration. Nothing out of the ordinary or an error.

5. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I do not see any error on the coin. Zincoln's have so many anomalies it's very difficult to find a true mint error. Good luck.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It’s neat to find a cent missing the initials but it’s not a big deal. It was minted by a well worn die and there may have been grease in this area. Both are so common it’s hard to get excited about.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  7. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I would suppose many different years have the missing initials. 1969 was a good year for this. I have several BU 1980 P's with this. Sometimes this is from die wear, sometimes a grease filled die. And die polishing can cause this also. Again, on the 1969 cents which also come with the "floating roof".

8. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I've read that the initials are one of the first devices rubbed off with excessive die polishing, so I imagine there are a lot of them out there.

tommyc03 likes this.
  9. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Thanks tommy

tommyc03 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted