1987 D cent

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by biged239, Jan 14, 2014.

1. biged239

biged239 Member

I want to know what I have here? Is this doubling or what am I looking at?
    Thanks Big Ed 1987 D Doubling.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

plate doubling.

In other words: nothing

4. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

5. biged239

biged239 Member

I am just asking a questions. Why is plating errors of no concern when so much has been made of die errors. Why isn't any bad coin of consequence. Does this mean the mint is not held in a high standard anymore? I am not being smart, I am just trying to learn who makes the rules and why will not fifty years from now when laser cutting or some other technology is used these coins will not be of some value.
    If you can turn a penny into a dollar you just made 99 % on a coin.
    You say these are common but if there is no registry or index how do we really know.
    I have many plating errors not two of them has been the same.
    Double lettering and mismarks in any situation should have some kind of scale?
    I expect this forum to provide knowledge and not just make statements without explanation.
    Nothing is not an answer.
    The extra finger or a leaf on a corn or more logs, is this just a plating error?
    Thanks Big Ed

6. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

from my experience roll searching lincoln cents i have found literally thousands of cents with plating issues, plate doubling, split plate doubling, plating blisters, plating bubbles, lateral plating bubbles, an then theres die deterioration doubling (very common in the 80's), which again i've found thousands of, an thats just me, now figure the thousands of people across the country roll searching and finding the same amount, thats a lot of coins all with the same kind of issues, some of these plating issues are listed at error-ref.com but not considered collectible because there are just way too many of them, if someone where to write a book on plating issues they could probably come up with a thousand different varieties just for 1983 alone, 50 years from now it may be different but i doubt it, but i must admit i have saved a few of the really odd ones that i have found, as for extra fingers or more logs those are errors because they are on the die itself an there may be a lot of them but also a limited number an you dont find them on every 3 out of 5 coins, the extra leaf was a different story, from what i,ve read that was created by a disgruntled mint employee and for the amount of coins minted theres very few of them out there, which makes them collectible...

7. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

also, the 87d you have pictured, i probly got 500 of them in my 5 gallon bucket full of zinc cents..... and see those tiny bumps, plating blisters, you could probly find those on almost every cent from the 80's because plating the zinc was still a new process and not perfected..

8. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

Big Ed you need to learn that all kinds of things can happen to the thin copper plating on the horrible zinc cents that were made since 1982. when you said { I have many plating errors not two of them has been the same. } this is one reason no one collects these plating problem coins is because no two are identical. error coins that is made from a die where the coin die had a problen itself are all identical , this way each person that finds one can say they have the same thing as other folks.

9. biged239

biged239 Member

Very informative. thank you I have been learning about errors for less than a couple of years. I am just now going through newer coins. Very time consuming but fun when finding weird stuff. I am not in this for the value as much as having a coin that is different. I do see that the plating problems would take up a lot of storage space.

Thanks Big Ed
    P. S. Great job rascal, and ken54 this is what I expect from CoinTalk.

10. biged239

biged239 Member

Here is one that looks more like a die error, but I can see how the plating process could cause this. 1987 cent liberty error.png
    notice how clean the L, R, T, and Y are, and then you get this impression on the I, B, and E. This is a new penny out of a bank roll. 1987 that was put away in 1987.
    Thanks Big Ed

11. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

yea i've seen many coins looking like this, some where the "L" and/or the "I" were fully or partially missing, see that area below the "B" that looks like a hump? that where the die is deteriorating, i've seen cents from the 80's where theres a "hump" like that almost around the entire rim of the coin and all the letters in the motto "in god we trust" looked like the "LIB" on that '87....

Draft saved Draft deleted