1986 Silver Eagle

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Minanius, Feb 27, 2024.

1. Minanius

Minanius Member

Hi, I just had a couple of questions for you coin experts out there.

Are 1986 silver eagles particularly rare in general, do they fetch more of a premium then others in the series?

Are they worth grading, like, does the price go up considerably or not?
    -tangent on grading, I notice some 1986s go for a lot more than others, is there a specific reason why? Are there errors, toning that plays into this etc? Or what's the deal?

I'm fairly new to collecting American Eagles, but own several 1986s that I got from my grandfather, and just wanted some insight on them, if they'll go up over time, what variations are worth more etc. IF people even like collecting them, stuff of that nature.

Any help is appreciated!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Not a rare year and are easily obtainable for reasonable prices.

My advice would be to store the eagles in capsules or 2x2's. I see no reason to get them graded as there is really not much value associated or realized by doing so. I do understand that there are many collectors who collect this series 'slabbed' but that option is really for you, the collector, to figure out. I like mine 'raw' just the way they come from the mint or bullion dealer. :)

Randy Abercrombie and Dimedude2 like this.
  4. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

Nah, got these for a song...

zreceipt.jpg

5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I'll give you twice what you paid... :)

6. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

I like the math. Save or sell. Both winners

Kentucky and derkerlegand like this.
  7. nwfdub

nwfdub Member

I disagree with the consensus. Given what you paid I would say yes, get them graded. Even among bullion collecters, raw, these sell higher than the normal premium, around $40-45. Due to the lower mintage of the first year. MS69 about $75. MS70 $750. Totally worth the effort to grade.

Draft saved Draft deleted