1986 quarter. Error or damaged?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Heavy, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Heavy

Heavy Junior Member

I found an odd coin while gathering my change out of my van today.

I took some pics and will upload them later today.

I'll describe it as well as I am able in the meantime.

The coin has the type of wear that I suppose would be normal for having been in circulation. Just kind of worn down.

Two things are weird.

One. It looks like it has the small burn spots on it. Right in front of the face. Looks like little black dots. This is obviously damage. Like someone was welding near it and the sparks landed on it.

The second thing is that it has two lumps. One on each side. The one on the front looks like a pea is trying to push it's way through the coin. The odd thing is that there is no corresponding dent on the other side.

So a lump on one side. With no dent to match it on the other side? There is one on both sides in different spots of course.

Like I said, pics up later.

thanks all.

Paul

edit. It looks like something got in between the layers before this was struck. I wonder if there is a way to.....x-ray it for lack of a better word...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Welcome to CT, Heavy.

We will need to see photos to figure out what is going on with your coin. I suspect it has been heated and an air pocket below the clad layer expanded making a "bubble". Post photos if you can.

4. Heavy

Heavy Junior Member

Here are some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bubble on the back is right in front of the beak. It looks like there is a tiny square doughnut in there....hard to get good pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

Yep! The old blow torch flame to the coin error!

Frank

TexAg likes this.
  6. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Frank is correct (as usual). Blowtorch. Notice the bubble on the reverse coincides with the scorching on the obverse.

7. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

Hobo,

I hope that I did not upset you or anyone else by making the post!!??

Frank

8. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Not at all. Maybe my wording could have been better but I meant that your assessment appears to be correct - which is typical. That means that I think you know what you are talking about. That's all.

9. jazzcoins

jazzcoins New Member

Yea it could also be stove damage hold the coin in a plyer and put it above the stove more easier i would say then a torch Most people have stoves then torches especially a little kid,:p
    Then again somebody could have used the coin for an ash tray:secret:
    Jazzcoins joe real name ZEC:eek::eek:

10. Heavy

Heavy Junior Member

Cool guys thanks for your help!

:D

11. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

It does look like welding spatter on the coin. Do the spots respond to a magnet?

12. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

Hobo,

Thanks! I guess that I just read into it the wrong way!

Also, thanks for the vote of confidence! I wish that all of my answers (assessments) were correct 100% of the time but in reality, I am probably wrong more than I am right. It must be some sort of madness we all have to think that we could possibly give an honest assessment of a coin considering the little and sometimes vague information and the often poor pictures that OP's give in a posting. However, no matter how bad the information or how bad the pictures, we still look, read, assess, scratch our' heads (and maybe a few other places :bigeyes:), assess some more and then post our assessment or thoughts in these forums, sometimes with zest and zeal and sometimes with guarded reservation. This must be a madness, don't you think and if you agree what name would you give to this madness!?!?!? Cointalkitis or Coincollectoritis or other!

Frank

13. jazzcoins

jazzcoins New Member

I think i would call it a form of the mad cow disease or madacowcoinadisasea

Jazzcoins Joe hybrid alien ZEC

14. Heavy

Heavy Junior Member

No they don't actually. I have them on a rare earth magnet right now and there is no pull...

Question. Does that mean there is air inside these bubbles?

Wouldn't the bubble be a little...you know....squishy?

15. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

Heavy,

Welcome to Coin Talk! To answer your question: Yes, there is more than likely a slight amount of air inside of the bubbles and most of them are a little squishy. As you can see from the pictures of the Reverse, the bubble above the Eagle's wing and to the left of it's head has alreay burst. It appears that it may have burst inward towards the Obverse due to the excessive burn damage there.

Frank

16. Kristacoin

Kristacoin New Member

I have a 1986 quarter which too is different. If anyone can shed light on the possible error?!
    Best way to describe it, is it feels and looks like it was imprinted too hard.
    It’s the same sharpness on both sides, and around the rim is completely smooth.

17. peaches21754

peaches21754 New Member

I also have a 1986 quarter I can't make out if the mint is a p or d

Draft saved Draft deleted