1986 Quarter error. Off-center and appears to have partial "8" and" 6" on edge. LIBERTY errors too.

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Ryan Thomas, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Ryan Thomas

Ryan Thomas New Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BlackBeard_Thatch

BlackBeard_Thatch Captain of the Queen Anne's Revenge

Cant really see it in that single picture, mind taking an clear one?

4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

You will need better images.

5. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

It doesn't look off center from the picture you've posted. Possibly a slightly misaligned die. I can't really comment further without better pics. Shoot the coin straight on, obverse and reverse, with the entire coin in focus.

6. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Sorry, but it just looks like a normal 1986

7. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

30 years of circulation wear.

8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

9. Kristacoin

Kristacoin New Member

I have a 1986 quarter which too is different. If anyone can shed light on the possible error?!
    Best way to describe it, is it feels and looks like it was imprinted too hard.
    It’s the same sharpness on both sides, and around the rim is completely smooth.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

10. paddyman98

What you have is damage to the edge. Someone taped it with a hammer or spoon to flatten it. We have seen many like yours here on CoinTalk.

Coins are minted/struck not printed. Paper Currency is printed.

And.. Next coin and question you have, you should create your own unique thread with a simple title. Like '1986 Quarter with strange looks features'

11. Broadstruck

12. you are one of the main reasons i stay away from this forum
    btw.......broadstruck look it up educate yourself

13. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

If a coin was broadstruck, wouldn't you expect the rims to be wider since it was struck without a collar? The rim on the coin in post 8 is narrower than a normal coin, plus the appears to be thicker (although hard to confirm from the pics). IMO, that would indicate some type of mechanical damage such as spooning, dryer coin, or some other tumbling event.

What characteristics of a centered broad struck error do see that I'm missing?

Southernman189 and paddyman98 like this.
  14. paddyman98

Darling.. You sound frustrated! Can't compete with the experts?
    You are wrong.. Goodbye and Please stay away! I have helped thousands over the years with many thanks. 1 person with a nasty attitude and that does not want to 'educate' themselves would not bother me at all!

Last edited: May 29, 2021
    potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  15. paddyman98

BTW.. I don't need to educate myself. I have plenty of attributed examples of Broadstruck in every coin denomination in my own collection..
    20200619_055038.jpg

16. I said the wrong error. There. Everyone good? I have been so thrown off by the bad attitude and humor each and every time I visit this site it is hard to just pass it by. Trolls are what it is, very prolific posting trolls I guess. Anywho thanks to whomever corrected my post, I appreciate it. It is unseemly to have the incorrect error.......correct? Oldhoopster, I would hazard a guess of an off center strike with a strong upset. Yes it would be great to see more pics, these are my favorite types of errors the ones that are more than one. I think the stink may have scared our first poster off. Maybe not, I would have run. JMO LOL Have a good evening gentlemen.

17. paddyman98

There is no error.. Just damage to the edge :banghead:

18. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

Your revive a 2 year old topic to claim broads truck and you make a 2nd post after claiming broadstruck to personally attack someone you feel you dislike. Now you come back and call everyone else the trolls after that behavior? You can't be serious. Ain't nobody git time for nonsense like yours. good day.

Placed on ignore and I'd expect everyone else will do the same.

expat likes this.
  19. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

This has nothing to do with trolls. It has everything to do with not posting false information. I don't care who it is, false information will be corrected and for good reason. Please don't insult the members here over your lack of understanding.

Randy Abercrombie and expat like this.
  20. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Good going @paddyman98

Southernman189 likes this.
  21. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

LOL, as if....

Kentucky likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted