1986-D Quarter

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by EllisDanby, Dec 22, 2009.

1. zekeguzz

zekeguzz lmc freak

Hey, I just looked in the black book and for BU rolls the 86 and 86-D go for $150. But BU is going to be very difficult to obtain.
    Also, I enjoy everybody's posts on this thread. Thanks.. Don't mean to sound patronizing though. I'm not an A-- K-----r.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

Cool. His name will come to me later. I always enjoyed reading his ads and following them.

While AU 1986 coins will prove to be winners in the long term probably you should be aware of a couple things. The reason they'lll be winners is thety were in circulation a long time before people realized the BU rolls were tough. That means there weren't many AU coins left so few were saved.

Numismatic News released information about the scarcity of the 1982 quarters in early 1985 which allowed thoudands of people to start gathering up AU's from circulation so now these are relatively common. Indeed, they are so common that a few slip out and you can find them back in circulation; still AU. There's a large premium on these and it's probably unjustified.

Other clad tends to be scarce in AU and older clad is even tough in XF. A few dates are tough in VF. As with uncs it's hard to find nicely made examples from good dies. Many of the older clads in high grade are from mint sets which contain much better made coins so you might get a little distorted picture of what's typical by looking only at these.

4. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

There are lots of cases where even nice serviceable specimens can be elusive. I know you're well aware of the cents that are tough but most non-collectors have no idea how tough some of these coins can be. The two that leap to mind are the '69 quarter and the '82-P quarter. The former was in mint sets so one would expect nice attractive BU coins to be easy. But most of the coins in mint sets look like they were run over by a bus. The coins made for circulation were so unattractive that almost no one set aside rolls. This roll sells for only about $80 but that's because no one wants to pay a large premium for ugly coins. These rolls really don't trade hands anyway since there were too few set aside to create a real market. For practical purposes the $80 price is for rolls from mint sets.

The '82-P quarter was much better made on average but somehow every coin seems to have one serious problem or another. The dies were used only a little too long but alignmentsa are bad, pressure is low, and scratching is typical. Couple this with the fact there were no mint sets and a very few coins set aside and finding one of these in true BU is really pretty tough. True gems with solid strikes are elusive.

5. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

I have a little preference for the '84 cent as a long term pick for being scarce in higher grades since the rate at which these are corroding in the mint set is high. These have poor surfaces too.

6. WashQuartJesse

WashQuartJesse Member Supporter

Cladking, I couldn't agree with you more on all that you've posted. I've also found better UNC grades of 69 and 82's very tough to come by. As a collector of solely Washingtons, I've developed a sense of what's out there and your observation is spot on. I get a little irritated also when I see price guides listing clad P's and D's similarly when the quality of Denver far exceeds that of Philly!

7. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

The price guides still don't have it right but it's a massive improvement on the price guides back in 1986 that just listed every coin for 50c. At that time a lot of them weren't worth 50c even in gem and some were impossible to locate and routinely traded higher. Over the years they've made a lot of improvements to the price guides but they still do a poor job with with the nice choice MS-63 and 64 quarters. There's a lot of demand in this area because they are very affordable and very attractive. But the guides tend to treat each date the same as though they're thinking anyone can get a mint set and all mint set coins are the same. The P's can be very tough to find in nice shape. It does make a difference whether you have to look at two mint sets or ten to find what you're looking for.

They also list the toughies likeb the '69 and '82-P's too low in higher grades. The PCGS guide lists the '82 at only about $15 in MS-64 if memory serves but nice attractive MS-64's are highly elusive and this isn't much more than roll price and hardly includes slabbing.

These markets used to be held back by the grading guides not keeping up but now days the guides largely just distort relative valuations.

8. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

1983 P&D cents - half dollar are also rare grades above MS64

9. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

The '83 coins in general had a lot of trouble with scratches and the cents had a lot of trouble with plating. They made a lot of nice '83-P quarters and even more awful '83-P quarters but then they scratched them all up before they got out of the mint.

10. Ed Goldman

Ed Goldman coin collector

11. zekeguzz

zekeguzz lmc freak

I just love it when you go to enlarge the picture and it stays the same. I wouldn't consider this coin without a nice clear enlargement.

12. KZMike

KZMike New Member

I have been helping my Nephew with his pre-1998 Washington Quarter collection and have come across a 1986 Denver mint mark 'placement' variation. One in the usual location close to the 'pig tail' the other to the right of that location, nearly at the rim of the coin. . .????

13. Ducktape

Ducktape New Member

14. Ducktape

Ducktape New Member

15. -Holmes16-

-Holmes16- New Member

I have a 1986 D quarter and in “In god we trust” the “I” is barely their and the “L” in Liberty is their but kinda light. Is this odd for this year and mint or is it common? Thanks for the help

16. Jesus Rodriguez

Jesus Rodriguez New Member

??

Attached Files:

17. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

That is pmd and worth a quarter. This thread is almost 9 years old!

18. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Darn. Still looking for my first 60 small date P

19. Craigescape

Craigescape Member

Im new to collecting so i have a few 1986d quarters none are gem by any standards. What would be a fair price for them?

Attached Files:

20. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

They are spenders Bud.

21. Mayela

Mayela Member

Ugly like this one

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted