1986 D DDR? nothing found on wexlers

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by NumisRookie, Nov 23, 2015.

1. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

just an optical illusion caused by the high magnification and lighting..

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

That is a doubled die coin. It doesn't have to have split serifs to be doubled, but it is a very good indication.

4. NumisRookie

NumisRookie Active Member

Ok so....once I got home I pulled out my 16X loop and took a good look with the human eye. After doing this, I found that (and I hate to say this part) but I was wrong. Here's how this happened:

I found the penny and immediately thought that the right leg of the A in AMERICA looked too big. I already had the microscope set up from looking at another coin just before so I just slid it under it and took a look. Looked doubled! Got excited! Posted pictures!
    I don't think I ever even pulled out my loop last night. Once I got home and looked at it, I had to pull up the pictures I posted last night just to make sure I was looking at the same coin. Turns out I was.....soooooo after a few minutes I new what I had to do.

I was going to say that I lost the coin! lol.....But I knew I couldn't do that. BooksB4Coins is a pretty good guy and I couldn't just run away from it and not confirm that he and Ken 454 were right.

Sorry everybody. I know I won't live this one down for a while!

ken454 likes this.
  5. NumisRookie

NumisRookie Active Member

6. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

It sooo looked like that R was split. One more example of how pictures can lead you to believe something that isn't so.

NumisRookie likes this.
  7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I can see an atom

8. tomfiggy

tomfiggy Well-Known Member

I believe it's flow lines from die deterioration

Draft saved Draft deleted