1986 Cartwheel Dollar

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Digenes, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Digenes

Digenes Just a collector

I have been trying to get my spouse interested in collecting coins with me for the last year. I have tried about everything from bribery to loaded rolls. Finally I decided to place coin world in a conspicuous location. :whistle:

This morning she asked me about the Cartwheel Dollar, and mentioned that it might be something she would be interested in. Does anyone have any information on these availablity and price range that this type coin would go for.

Also, she is curious about a coin from her early PA childhood, not going to say exactly how long ago as to not reveal her age, oh well guess I am because of the type of coin Kiss She thinks it would be late 60's early 70's and were given away by H.L. Mills or Sunoco gas stations with a gas fill up. More then likely they were a novelty coin. Any information on these would also be greatly appreciated.

Dave

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Cartwheel is usually terminology for a silver dollars luster...but you probably already knew that.

Ruben

4. Digenes

Digenes Just a collector

Yes Ruben I do understand that. I am referring to a particular coin called a 1896 Cartwheel dollar and was mainly used as a private piece to address capaign debates on gold standard. They are an example of what coin world refers to as 1890 Bryan money. (See page 108 of the March 23, 2009 Coin World for full article on the coin(s)).

Dave

5. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

"Cartwheel" is also a term used for silver dollars in general, most likely because of their large diameter.

6. Digenes

Digenes Just a collector

Ok let me rephrase this then. I am talking about a particular coin/token used during the 1896 and 1900 presidential campaigns in opposition to William Jennings Bryan and his platform. These tokens were also refered to as Cartwheel dollars. They were made from silver, gold etc.
    One side of the coin/token had an acutal image of a cartwheel and the other had some polical statement of the time on it.

Dave

7. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Possible the so called dollar hk-780? Photo's from Heritage

Attached Files:

8. Digenes

Digenes Just a collector

Yes that is exactly the coin I am talking about and looking for info on.

Dave

9. Digenes

Digenes Just a collector

So now what can anyone tell me about thesecoins/tokens???

10. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

There is a book by Hibler and Kappen that specialize in So-Called Dollars. That is also the name of the book. They just release an updated version last summer which I do belive in the seconded edition. Although here is a link that also may be helpful http://www.so-calleddollars.com/ The one I posted above is HK-780

11. Digenes

Digenes Just a collector

Thanks Grilledporkchop.
    I have added this coin/token (Cartwheel/Bryan dolar) to my want list at my spouses request on Heritage as she is very interested in collecting these. And if I can get her into coin collecting, even if it through tokens, I will take full advantage of it.

Dave

12. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

thats a really cool pic. Sometimes I forget just how large and diverse numismatics is, even in our own country.

Draft saved Draft deleted