1986/7 Silver eagles

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Willysilver, May 25, 2024.

1. Willysilver

Willysilver HEADS UP Supporter

Hope everyone is doing well . missed you guys though. Had some phone issues. And then I was taking care of my stepdad with dementia. What a mission. So here's what I got,Proof 1986/87 Wyman reverse on a $1 troy ounce silver eagle walking liberty. These are genuine coins they're with they're what you call strike overs they used a US mint coin and struck over them that's what I can find out but they never made, a wine in reverse on a silver eagle they were on the half dollar. So somehow this got minted. Here's the reverse now see if you can help me out tell me what you think thank you

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 25, 2024
    ZoidMeister likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I wouldn't call that a coin.
    That's some sort of weird silver bullion.
    And it's a hot mess.

4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Silver Eagles are bullion, nor coins and that one has been messed with. Not original by and means.

paddyman98 and -jeffB like this.
  5. Willysilver

your both wrong , partially. I'm smarter than that now. I do my homework before I write anything on this website. Here's what I found out

Attached Files:

6. Willysilver

That's from the guy who invents them and there is value they trade on heritage auction I'm sorry not heritage great collections and annex attributes them and I think NGC does as well I'll take an apology now thank you

7. Willysilver

If you both want to learn something today go to numismatic news bullying arrow coins and you'll see how they invented them in 1986 all the way through with the different dive varieties they used it was like nine different die varieties

8. cwart

cwart Senior Member Supporter

Can you cite your expert for your evaluation of the round? I’m also kinda curious about what’s written above the text you provided.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  9. GH#75

GH#75 Trying to get 8 hours of sleep in 4. . .

Its interesting, but it's not gonna be worth a lot. It was done on purpose, privately by someone who has the machinery to mint their own coins.

If its silver, it may have some sort of value to the right person, but personally I wouldn't pay a whole lot for it.

ZoidMeister and paddyman98 like this.
  10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I'm afraid you don't get a passing grade this time.

I don't see anything in the quote you posted that supports what you believe. The quote says "if it were a US Mint Silver Eagle pair". That phrasing means "it is not such a thing".

11. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

So rude.
    I'm not apologizing for anything. It's not a coin.

I'm not posting anything on any of your future threads ever again :yawn:

12. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

WillyWonka,

Here is something similar, but it has much more aesthetic appeal. These were created by a semi well-known numismatic artist named Mike Bozynski.

@paddyman98 was being kind by calling your piece a "hot mess."

These are very scarce and have verifiable mintage. Do you know how many of those damaged bullion pieces were made?

That and appeal to collectors determine value.

Z

IMG_2451.JPG IMG_2452.JPG IMG_2453.JPG IMG_2454.JPG

13. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Got that right, a huge hot mess nobody is gonna want as it's ruined! :D Better luck next time @Willysilver. ;)

Last edited: May 25, 2024
    ZoidMeister likes this.
  14. Willysilver

15. Willysilver

All good it's silver I was just trying to share with you guys what I learned in this experience that's all I was trying to do nothing but help and I get nothing but flack

16. Willysilver

great examples let paddy know it's a coin lol

17. Willysilver

Probably not is it only worth what someone will pay anyways that's the bottom line in this coin industry

18. ZoidMeister

Negative. As usual, Paddy is correct

A coin is an instrument of commerce, typically a struck metal planchet made by a recognized nation and issued for common commerce - made to buy or sell products.

These silver rounds ARE the product. They were originally sold far above face value, were never distributed by banks at face value to buy other stuff, therefore they are not coins.

Z

paddyman98 likes this.
  19. cwart

I might add one thing @ZoidMeister, although I can see part of your definition already covering it…. Usually with the value minted on one side.

still disqualifies Willy’s round, but I’m thinking the denomination is part of the definition too…

-jeffB and ZoidMeister like this.
  20. ZoidMeister

You got the flack by insisting the sound advice folks were trying to give you was incorrect and by refusing to learn.

Z

-jeffB likes this.
  21. cwart

So despite telling members they are wrong when the are not and demanding an apology from them you just wanted to share what you found? Seems like much more of a badly conceived and executed gotcha game….

Cheech9712, -jeffB and ZoidMeister like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted