1985 'zincoln' with no copper plating?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by mgk920, May 7, 2020.

1. mgk920

mgk920 Nonhyphenated-American

I was going through my accumulated junk jar over the past few days and found something that I forgot that I received in change back in the 1980s, a 1985 (no mintmark) cent that looks like it was struck on a zinc planchet that did not receive its copper wash coating. At first I thought that it was an average circulated 1943 cent, but then remembered what it was when I saw the date and the reverse. I quickly put it into a more protective cover. Has anyone else heard of such an error?

Mike

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GH#75

GH#75 Trying to get 8 hours of sleep in 4. . .

4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Holy crap you've been a member since 2011! Zincolns without the coating are well recognized errors. Let's see yours, @paddyman98 could probably tell you a lot.

5. mgk920

Granted, it is not a mirror-like AU finish, much more the appearance of an average circulated 1943 zinc-plated steelie, but that is interesting and I may be shopping it around in the foreseeable future. Thanx!

6. mgk920

I've been off and on reading and posting, more off than on. I'll see what I can do about posting images.

Mike

Kentucky likes this.
  7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Looking forward to seeing it

Carl

8. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

99% of what I see of this error type is either a plated or de-plated altered (damaged) coin.

Photos will help me quickly figure it out

paddyman98 likes this.
  9. mgk920

10. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

I don't know much about these but I'm sticking around to see what the experts say.
    Possibly the weight would help.

11. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

It would be better if you posted the Cent out of the 2x2. It can be seen better.

Those might be plating bubbles above the date.

12. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

13. mgk920

Thanx. It's how I received it in change back then. Closely examining it, I do note a slight scratch between those bubbles and Lincoln's nose with a barely perceptible tinge of red showing.

What do you see in it?

14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

From the dark dull coloration my best guess would be a cent that has had the copper plating stripped off.

Draft saved Draft deleted