1985 uncirculated Irish half penny what's it worth?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Sandiegocoinnewbie, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Sandiegocoinnewbie

Sandiegocoinnewbie New Member

I have a 1985 uncirculated Irish half penny from a tourist set. Trying to find out the value any help is appreciated

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

Unfortunately these are modern, circulating coins. If you go to Ireland you'll find them as frequently as you find Jefferson nickels here in the states.

4. Sandiegocoinnewbie

I got a reply on world coin threads that says other wise between 2-3 thousand

Attached Files:

5. jallengomez

I saw the 1986 above it, and didn't even notice the date. This is a rare one, but probably in the couple hundred range. The photo you posted on sale for $5000 is a 67 red. Do you have photos of the other side? Don't touch it with your fingers.

6. Sandiegocoinnewbie

Yes I do I have an offer from a dealer for 1200 he said it's prob ms65

Attached Files:

7. Sandiegocoinnewbie

The coin has never been touched and has a protective case

8. jallengomez

I would strongly recommend that you sent it in to one of the major third party grading services.

9. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

I have a few of those myself, not that date of course

10. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

Very rare coin, very cool that you have one. When I read the title I was thinking it was about some common 1970's irish halfpenny that is only worth a couple cents of so but after researching it I was amazed to find out how rare it is. $2000 is around what it may be worth.

"The 1985 halfpenny was produced in circulation quantities but many of these did not get to circulation and were returned to the Central Bank and melted when the coin was demonetised in 1987. But some coins did escape and fortunately some of these were used to make up private souvenier sets of the coinage so the coins are not as scarce as was though some years ago and they are available in bright uncirculated condition." Cited from http://www.irishcoinage.com/DECCAT.HTM

billy b likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted