1985 Series $10 Bill

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Shoewrecky, Apr 19, 2012.

1. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Everyone's opinion should be welcomed and received with an open embrace on this forum. While they will remain nameless, I wish two particular posters on this thread could have stuck with the issues and focused on what tbudwiser and I said about how these notes decline in existance with each passing day. I suppose we will all just have to make due without a proper response to this from them. Anyway, thats all be happy and treat each other with the same level of dignity and respect you yourself would want to be treated with.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Everyone's opinion should be welcomed and received with an open embrace on this forum. While they will remain nameless, I wish two particular posters on this thread could have focused on the original question of the thread; "If you found a 1985 $10 bill in circulation would you spend it or keep it?". I collect uncirculated Star notes, 4-subject sheets, experimental's , WWII Emergency notes, and error notes, so I would definitely not keep this note. Different collectors collect different notes and have different interests. Anyway, let's all be happy and treat each other with the same dignity and respect you would want to be treated with. Happy collecting everyone !!

4. FelcherFelchin

FelcherFelchin New Member

Your opinion is just as "up for debate" as anyone else's. Just because it's yours doesn't make it infallible to dissection. (edited)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2016
    NOS likes this.
  5. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

This 2012 thread asked if you would keep the note or spend it, and my answer then, and now is I would not keep it. If you have a different answer, or opinion, then let's hear it. Commenting with an inappropriate remark is cowardly.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  6. Small Size

Small Size Active Member

I'm many things, an elitist isn't one. I began to be serious about collecting currency in high school, when I received a gently circulated 1934A $20 FRN in change in 1974. It had no premium value then (it basically has none now). It was a good bit of money to just put aside. The "smart" thing to do was spend it.
    But looking at the one note for hours made me a real collector. It got me to learn about face plate numbers, back plate numbers, how to tell what position on the sheet the note had been before it was cut, how it had been printed, how the way it was printed was different from the way notes were printed later, why Jackson had more fingers on it than on a modern $20, etc.
    That note has been joined by hundreds of others that form my collection today. Some are significant rarities. Together they tell many stories; about the history of paper money in this country, about the history of the country in general. Some are war notes. Some are emergency notes, printed in haste during the Great Depression. Some have subtle differences in the obligations printed on them, subtleties that speak eloquently of the evolution of the concept of money and how the banking system changed in the wake of the Industrial Revolution. Some are works of art that would be worthy of display in a museum.
    None of them is any more meaningful to me than the one common old $20 that made me into the collector I am today.
    Collect what you love. Never care what anybody else says about it.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    SteveInTampa likes this.
  7. TradingGreen

TradingGreen Active Member

I have to keep buying larger storage boxes for my safe so I have places to put all of the misc notes I find. If I wasn't married to a great wife for over 40 years she would have thrown me out years ago - with my boxes of "stuff". However with this said, she is right when it comes to saying that I have too much "stuff". I look at it as - I can afford $ 10 to put in my safe. But, it is pretty funny when I pull out one of those boxes and sort through the misc notes. $1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50 and... whoops a couple of 100's. Well they're star notes - I can't spend those. A good friend and full time dealer told me many years ago. Buy the best coin or note that you can of the rarest date - and buy that one first. You can always find the common ones.
    What ever your choice - have fun with it.
    Rich

8. John McRaney

John McRaney New Member

Value is what someone is willing to pay. I bought some Morgans. They are really of melt value but because they are a Morgan coin, some people will pay for them. Same for the paper $10. There is someone out there who will pay because they can purchase this bill and it will be available to them. John D

Draft saved Draft deleted