1985 Series $10 Bill

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Shoewrecky, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Shoewrecky

Shoewrecky Coin Hoarder

If you found a 1985 $10 bill in circulation would you spend it or keep it? Before you give an answer below is the information you have.

Since I can't post a picture (at work and Tapatalk is not working) I will describe it as best as possible. If I were to grade it, I would around 55 EPQ, 1 crease (not major or minor) and 3 minor folds, no stains or tears, it almost looks as if it came right off the press.

Serial Number: L 82039887 C
    Note Position Number: E3
    Federal Reserve District number: 12
    Plate Serial Number: E445
    Reverse Plate Serial Number 434

Treasurer: Katherine Davalos Ortega
    Secretary: James A Baker III

more info:
    http://www.uspapermoney.info/serials/f1985_d.html

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

That note is a keeper for sure. I'm sure one or more unappreciative elitists will chime in telling you to spend it but this note that you have found is historic and sounds like it is in fairly nice condition.

4. tbudwiser

tbudwiser Active Member

Keeper indeed!

5. urbanchemist

urbanchemist US/WORLD CURRENCY JUNKIE

i would not consider myself an elitist but from the info he has given it is a regular $10 note. there were over 99,000,000 notes from that block printed. i am still not quite sure why you are all caught up on the older style notes. i find it funny now when someone sees an old style note and thinks its some magical thing. there are hundreds of billions of these older style notes floating around worldwide. its like people forgot what money use to look like 15 years ago. to the op if you want to keep it go right ahead but as far as value there isn't much there. maybe because i use to work at a bank i don't get all giggly when i see an old note. now if it was from the 20's or 30's i would say that would be a keeper. to each is own. everyone can blast me if they want but i am just being honest. maybe if the note was GEM then i would possibly keep it. but it doesn't sound like from your explanation that its GEM. just giving my .02 :thumb:

6. Shoewrecky

Shoewrecky Coin Hoarder

appreciate the honestly urban..
    The note is old since I was only 8 in the year it was came into production :)

7. urbanchemist

don't get me wrong i do appreciate it. but this particular note you posted doesn't have any monetary significance. that's why i say its a spender. i was only a kid when the note was printed as well. i just think society total forgot that 15 years ago all money was the small faces. they really aren't that rare. yes certain notes can be quite expensive but not many for 1985. others on the forum just get crazy when some of the more established members on this forum don't get excited for a note that has 99,000,000 of them printed for that one particular block. just because its 27 years old doesn't give it any historical significance. like i said you can keep it but its not worth anything more than $10. i guess working at a bank at one point made me a little more jaded when it comes to these note because i saw them day in and day out. you normally don't see a coin collector go crazy for a 1985 nickel unless its an error. its the same thing. that's all i am trying to say. peace be with all. :thumb:

*wolf7* likes this.
  8. tbudwiser

tbudwiser Active Member

First of all, calling "the other members" "crazy" is no way to make "peace with all". Neither is considering us "less established" on this site. Nickels are hard metals, not paper that has about a 18 month on average life span. I think it's actually hard for "you guys" to remember that paper doesn't last as long as hard metal coins.
    Trust me when I say comparing metal coinage to paper money is no point and the two should not be used in the same sentence when the life span is being considered. It all depends on what the OP wants to do with it. Is he hoping to sell it for $20? If so, then just spend it because you won't sell that note for over face value. Is the OP trying to save it for 30-40 years until it's as old as something from the "20's or 30's" is today? Now for that reason you should keep it.

9. clayirving

clayirving Supporter**

All this time I though "crazy" was a prerequisite to paper money collecting.

10. urbanchemist

i seem to have struck a cord with you. i am not the one who made the original comment about the elitist paper collectors on this site who will say spend it. that was made by someone else. i know who this person is referring to when they make those comments. i felt i needed to make a comment about that. i also never said anyone was "crazy" i mentioned they get "crazy" maybe i should have said "over excited". maybe that wouldn't have upset you so much. :D ok we wont compare paper money with coinage. if you were to save any note for 30-40 years it "might" be worth something. but since that note is already 27 years old and isnt worth much more than the day it was printed it really doesnt need to be kept. unless it has a special significance to him for that particular year or series go right ahead and spend it. seeing there are over 99,000,000 of that particular block that note will probably be worth the same amount in 100 years. i just don't open my mouth and spout nonsense. i speak from experience. you can agree or disagree with me if you like, that is your right. it still doesn't change the way that i feel. :thumb:

11. tbudwiser

tbudwiser Active Member

Okay, so what about a 1934A $10 dollar bill? Do you think it was worth anything throughout the '60s and '70s? I doubt it. Probably not even the '80s. Yet today, they do in fact sell for over face value. Why doesn't the OP's bill follow the same rules the 1934A $10 did? Why can't he save it for 30-50 years? It may have some value then. Okay, so I think I can guess what your next argument is... Production (because that is what I would bring up next if I was on your side). Let me save some time. Sure, we all know that there were more 1985 $10's printed then 1934A $10's. But out of all the banks I have been to in my life, they all have one common final destination for older style bills... The shredder. Not only are banks all across the nation shredding these small heads, but also, there have been 2 major sweeps of old currency. Once in 1990 when additional security features were added, a lot of paper money from Series 1988A and earlier were shredded. Then again in 1995 when the "NexGen" currency redesigns came out. And by "sweeps" I mean the BEP consistently reminding the banks to send in the out of date bills.
    I'm not upset at all. I love arguments like these. How do you think that after 100 years of banks sending in small heads to the BEP to be shredded, that it will still only be worth $10? Now that just sounds crazy to me. You say a lot that contradicts yourself. Think about it.

12. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

My initial comment was not made to any particular person, let alone you. You are the one who is spouting nonsense by saying "there are over 99,000,000 of that particular block." I have seen this line of thinking rambled off over and over again as justification to spend these old and highly historic notes. 99 million was the entire block that was printed back in the 1980s. How many of those 99 million notes from the L-C block are still extant? I would venture to say that an extremely high percentage has been destroyed from the passage of time due to these notes being used and circulated. Furthermore (and this is what elitists fail to realize or understand), there is more to collecting coins and currency than just making profits and turning a buck.

13. urbanchemist

you know what. lets make this so much easier. you are both 100% correct. i will keep my opinions to myself. my elitist attitude will be kept to my tea parties with my fellow paper money elitists so we can scoff at the absurdity of this whole situation. enjoy. you now have one less paper currency expert to worry about. it doesn't bother me one bit but all i know is these issues never came up in this section before. but i guess its just me. oh well :thumb: enjoy

14. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

This thread reminds me of this past thread, http://www.cointalk.com/t203190/ , which is why I no longer comment.......and why I wrote this blog, http://www.cointalk.com/blogs/steveintampa/662-cookie-cutter-currency-collector.html.

This is the OP's original question; "If you found a 1985 $10 bill in circulation would you spend it or keep it?"

I would spend it, or offer it up for sale on the For Sale area of the forum to the collectors that have mentioned interest in the note for its historical significance (?). Without knowing what you collect Shoewrecky, I do not know how to advise you going forward. Your avatar is a Coin (cent) and your bi-line mentions "coin hoarder", so I have no advise, just my opinion based on what I collect. It's a shame that all opinions are not welcomed without the preface of terms like "unappreciative elitists" being mentioned.

Good luck with your decision, and remember, it's only ten bucks.

15. Shoewrecky

Shoewrecky Coin Hoarder

Steve,
    My main collection (enjoyment) are wheat pennies, I do collect currency however it is a on a smaller scale. Most of my currency collection comes from change I receive though I will make a purchase every once in a blue moon.

Also, let's not fight about this, we are hear to learn and help eachother out. We need to learn not to take things so personal bc someone is giving their own opinion or advise to the OP..my 2 cents.

16. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

It is too bad SteveInTampa and urbanchemist have declined to address what tbudwiser and I have said in posts #10 and #11. Everyday these notes are being destroyed, their existing levels will only go down. Urbanchemist has made it sound like the entire L-C block has been stored on some pallets at the BEP. This is the fallacy of argument that Urbanchemist and SteveInTampa should have addressed. Instead, they have attempted to make tbudwiser and I to be the 'bad guys' on this thread when we are the ones who tried to debate the issues through the use of deductive logic and reasoning.

17. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

I'm not going to argue or debate with you NOS.

The OP's questions was "If you found a 1985 $10 bill in circulation would you spend it or keep it?"

I answered according to what I collect. That's my opinion, and it's not up for debate or argument.

18. urbanchemist

exactly why i am over the whole thing.

19. tbudwiser

tbudwiser Active Member

20. Dr Kegg

Dr Kegg Star Note Fanatic

In my opinion, based on the note's condition, I would spend it towards the same note, or an older one in better condition. The great part about this series of note is that ones in better condition would be able to be found relatively cheap compared to notes from the 1920s-1930s. Keep it if you like it, but if it were me I'd use it towards a better example.

21. jlg1130

jlg1130 New Member

If I found the note, I would keep it.

Then again, I keep all small heads I find, due to the reasons that NOS and t-bud stated.

Draft saved Draft deleted