1985 p dime

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by ddk2881, Mar 15, 2019.

1. ddk2881

ddk2881 Active Member

Hi-I can not find any listings for this coin and have a couple questions first am I seeing ddd under bust from 1 to right. Second is there something by the torch Flame perhaps a die chip. Third there appears to me something above second u to the right of torch to which I haven't a clue. And lastly what are all the streaks sunbursting from the edge. Thanks for any insight IMG_20190315_222441.jpg IMG_20190315_222549.jpg IMG_20190315_222632.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

That is a coin with no value above it's face. It is one where the dies were used past their real usefulness. All the issues are because of that. The distortion is not errors, and no listings will appear for it.

Pickin and Grinin and paddyman98 like this.
  4. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Basically mass production and fatigue of the die. Rather than cracking with excessive use, the features of the plated surface of the working die becomes very weak (think like metal fatigue) and rapid deterioration can happen, dramatically changing the sharper features to not. So you will see the mushiness, etc. Also features seem to lose their ability to strike cleanly and the extreme DDD or mechanical type of machine doubling either occurs or this is not necessarily MD, but DDD that kind of mimics it, I'm not sure. Anyways, a working die is originally a cylinder that has a raised point at the center so with extreme fatigue I think you can expect metal flow lines radiating and I think the deterioration wear follows flow lines. Check this out: http://www.error-ref.com/radial-flow-lines/

ddk2881 and paddyman98 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted